Skip to main content

Gardening officially started!

It's a small start, but the potatoes are planted.  We may plant more if we can locate more seed potatoes. I also hope to get sweet potato slips from my supplier.  I failed to wrap my own up in newspaper last fall. I actually plain forgot.

It rained almost immediately after covering up the last potato too.  Now it's the waiting game again, for the soil to dry up, so planting can resume.

Although a rainy, wet and somewhat gloomy day, I was rather productive. 


Homemade yogurt was made, a pan of nuts roasted, laundry done (for what could fit on racks inside), bathroom sinks cleaned, 3 clutter piles cleaned up in the kitchen,  and all the rain barrels are out now.  

Plus, I baked 2 large pans of chickpea stuffed shells and some steamed broccoli for dinner.  It was perfect timing too.  Our oldest daughter showed up with a friend, and our next older daughter (vegetarian) texted me she was starving and would be home at 11:30pm.  She also wanted something for her lunch the next day - reheated stuffed shells.

I'm hoping for many more productive days here. Rain or sun.

I realized in my absence of blogging, that I haven't taken many photos lately, and had this photo still on my camera . . .



A beautiful sunrise on April 10th of this year.  As seen from the front porch. 

Comments

Susan said…
I think you are productive, no matter what the weather! Those shells sound delicious!
Connie said…
I'm beginning to plant too . . . I put onions out and have been preparing my beds for later planting. Maybe you can help me. This is our first year to plant cabbage and I bought some starts yesterday. Can they be planted before the danger of frost or should I wait?
Rain said…
The sunrise is gorgeous :) Congrats on starting your taters! I still have at least a month to go, but I think this weekend I'll be starting my seedlings indoors, if I can fit them all by the window!
Susan, the shells are very good! We love them!
Connie, cabbage can be put out 6-8 weeks before the last frost. It's tolerant to cooler weather.
Rain, I am having the same issue with space. I need to buy another set of racks to start more too.
Goatldi said…
Even me who whines at the thought of temperatures over 55 degrees has a very serious case of plant'em fever. I am delighted that you too have begun the journey. Now if I can just get this poor bat out of my house!
Goatldi, we had a bat in our house when I was just a kid. I'll never forget the babysitter covering her head with newspaper to get it out. One year living here on the homestead, we had a slew of Momma bats that moved into the upper loft of the big barn. They moved in to have babies and then leave again. I hope you get the bat out of your house.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart