Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits ~ Chickweed Pesto

Warning....not good news just yet.

First, Hubby isn't off night shift after all.  A call came, and he's on 3rd for a few more nights (maybe).  

Second,
the boys couldn't just get us just a new tire.  Whatever Hubby hit on the road last week broke off some of the rim.  This was a huge challenge, as one daughter started a new job and the other had to work, and the truck brakes are still out.  However, by 5:30pm, those boys had a new tire and rim, and had it on the car for us.  We were very thankful.  Not only two of them, but 3 of our nephew's boys showed up, and his brother-in-law.  

It's hard to believe that yesterday I not only dehydrated several trays of chickweed, but cooked us spinach/chickweed pesto as part of our dinner.


Woke up to this today. Snow.  It's still snowing too.

I have no idea what I can miraculously whip up today.  It all depends (with a deeply insanely crazy laugh) on the weather.  If it clears up we have plan A, so the kids are on their own. If it's not cleared up, then it's plan B.  Maybe.  Dinner all depends on if my husband has to work another night of 3rd shift today, or if he is moved to 2nd which would make plan C.

Note:  To make the chickweed pesto, I simply used my favorite spinach pesto recipe (Genius Kitchen, Speedy Spinach Pesto, online), and used part chickweed for the parsley and spinach.  Somewhat like about a cup and 1 1/2 cups spinach maybe.  I eye-balled it.  I think next time I'll use all chickweed.  I had spinach to use up too, but I'm thrilled to get some chickweed dehydrated too, and I plan to dry a lot more of it this spring. Learning Herbs (online) has a recipe for chickweed pesto, but it's basically the same.  I used a splash of lemon juice in ours too.




Comments

mamasmercantile said…
How wonderful that the family pulled together to get your car back on the road. Shame to hear about hubby having to do more night shifts, he must be exhausted.
Rain said…
That's too bad he's still on that shift...it's hard to get used to I'm very sure! Oh the snow...the snow...will it never end???
mamasmercantile, I'm brewing him some tea to restore energy today. He's exhausted.
Rain, the sun is trying to shine, but that snow needs to go, lol!
Susan said…
It's bad enough that your husband has to keep up that awful pace, but to not know ahead of time must drive you crazy! Not to mention being a car/truck down. Nothing is growing yet in our area - we just can't seem to get more than one day of sun and reasonable temps in a row. I cannot wait for something green!
Susan, it's been tough for sure. I cannot wait for sunshine and warmer days too.
Henny Penny said…
Oh, third shift is horrible. We used to have lots of chickweed, but I've pulled so much for the chickens, it's getting scarce now.
Henny Penny, I never thought to give some to the hens. Thanks for the idea. If I have any extra that is. I plan on making many spring dishes for us this year. Yum!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart