Skip to main content

Tomatoes ~ Baby Food Carrot Cake

I finally got some salsa canned, and it was with my very own tomatoes.  I was so excited to see Hubby bring in more tomatoes, we ended up with 10 pints of salsa.  A huge blessing, considering it's been the worst garden year (rain).




I even had more tomatoes leftover, but not enough for salsa, so I blanched and froze them (another huge blessing I didn't think we'd get this season).



I have been looking around for inexpensive jars for making homemade vapo-rub (cheapest I can find in stores is $2.99/each for a 4 oz. jar).  

Well, another farmgirl gave me the idea to just buy baby food, to get the jars. Duh!  I guess with no babies in the house, that simple idea never occurred to me.

It's a great bargain if you ask me.  I paid $.59/each for them, and bought sweet carrots.  I used the baby food to make a carrot cake.  I linked the recipe I used, and used my home canned applesauce in place of the oil.  I got my jars, and the family got carrot cake.  What a deal.   And, the frosting was made with my homemade vanilla extract.  Can't beat that.

I'm thinking I need a few more jars - he he he!

Comments

Anonymous said…
How totally cool that you got enough tomatoes to can 10 jars of salsa! You know, or perhaps you don't that I am trying to get a weekly linky party started called Patisserie Tuesdays, which runs from Tuesday through Saturday. This baby food carrot cake would be cool to link up... I'm just sayin'! :D Read more about Patisserie Tuesday here http://elisabetpollock.blogspot.com/p/patisserie-tuesdays.html I would love to have you link up a sweet recipe every now and then when you have the time... ughhh, time :D
Hugs,
Beth P
Thanks Beth,I will take a look.
Liz said…
We did salsa last weekend with our tomatoes. Bad crop for us as well! So glad to see the carrot cake recipe. I had this written down somewhere but lost it! Thanks for posting it!
EMMA said…
Great idea. I'm currently drying calendula flowers to make balm and was wondering what to use for jars.
and what's more, I love carrot cake!
kathy b said…
Your carrot cake looks soooooo good. I may have to bake one

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart