Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Frugal Tip ~ Dehydrating Cottage Cheese


I am learning to be much smarter with my dehydrator, and saving money at the grocery store.  They had 16 oz. tubs of organic cottage cheese marked down for clearance.  I paid $1.49 each, for two tubs.  They are normally $4.89 each.  They fit nicely on the 4 trays in my dehydrator. 
 


The savings was nice, and the storage space will be small.  I can rehydrate it for any recipe using fresh cottage cheese.  It does turn a slight yellow after it is dry, but is smells so wonderful while it's drying (at least mine did).

I think I will take some of this camping too.  


2 comments:

EMMA said...

I had no idea it was possible to dehydrate cheese! Maybe I should invest in a dehydrator, it seems like a very useful piece of kitchen equipment.

Sam I Am...... said...

Great idea about the cottage cheese! I love cottage cheese, well, I love all kinds of cheese!
Too bad your Farmer's Market is over as I just made some darling pumpkins which are fast easy and so cute that I bet they would sell at your market!
I blogged about them today. Getting a lot done around this old homestead. Happy Fall!