Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, September 27, 2013

Newest Addition to the Farm

Meet Alias.  He's a 12/13 year-old pit bull mix.  His owner, according to the shelter, lost his job and could not take care of him properly.  He was up for adoption at a "kill" shelter. 

My son and I walked all the cages, and we asked to visit with Alias.  It's been about 9 months since we lost our dear friend Gus, and I know we will never be able to replace him.  However, we felt there was an empty spot here on Rooster's Crow Farm, and we thought we'd take some time to go look for a new member.  The shelter said, that if there was a problem, we could return Alias within 10 days of adoption.

Most of the dogs at the shelter were of a hound breed.  In fact, one was in there because it was caught going after chickens.  There were a variety of dogs of all ages and sizes.


Alias, in the photo, was a bit nervous on day 1 here.  However, he gets along with the other two dogs, could care less about the barn cats (that's good since they have claws), and doesn't even bother our chickens.  The house cats are not adjusted to Alias yet, and hide often, or hiss at him.

He responds to his name immediately, will sit, shake, lay and come, on command.  He has had a few accidents in the house (shhh, don't tell Hubby), but that's normal when adjusting to a new home and new routine.  

Today is day 3, and he's been sleeping more often, and not so nervous.  He loves looking out the window.  He, in fact, acts like he's lived here all his life.  He jumps up on the beds, and snuggles in with whoever he chooses, including me.  I was dumbfounded, on night 1, when he jumped into my bed while I was crocheting, licked my cheek, snuggled up by my side, and rested his head on my leg.  He just fits in here.

So far, the only animal he thinks is food, is our indoor pet rabbit, Milo.  I don't see that as a problem, as the kids feel they can train him to leave Milo alone, when Milo is out of his cage getting exercise.  We had Sadie, our mothering Lab, give the rabbit kisses in front of Alias, to show him that Milo is not dinner.

He loves to play with toys, but tends to chew up tennis balls in a matter of minutes.  We plan to go dog toy shopping for him.  

Yesterday, both Jesse and Alias were sleeping on the same bed together.  Jesse is somewhat of a "nervous nellie" so this was so nice to see.

I think he'll fit in nicely.  I'll have updates soon, on how he's doing, and some new photos hopefully.  I've had a few people comment that older dogs may have more health costs, and to be honest, that's the last thing on our minds.  He deserves to live out his life, just like anyone else, and I think he is thankful to be here.  He's not on a chain, he's not in a cage, and he's pampered by the kids.   

7 comments:

Sandra said...

Congrats on the new family pet :)

Mama Pea said...

Alias is one very, very lucky dog! And kudos to you and the whole family for your generous hearts in providing a happy, loving home for him. Hoping all continues to work out . . . especially for Milo. ;o)

EMMA said...

He's a cutie. Sounds like he fits in just perfectly. Lucky dog to have found such a warm and loving home.

Unknown said...

Ah what a cutie. We've always adopted older pets. Anya was 4, we didn't care. "then he jumped into my bed while I was crocheting, licked my cheek, snuggled up by my side, and rested his head on my leg. He just fits in here." Anya did the same thing basically- 1st night, snuggled up to me, turned and touched my cheek with her paw, and snuggled in. I was in love!

Sadly we tend to live in a throw away, youth-obsessed society. He could live another good 5-10 years. Both our big dogs lasted into the upper teens. He deserves a caring restful home, not a needle. If folks can't afford an older pet, don't get a pet at all, as they all age.

Winnie said...

I am so happy to hear that Alias is fitting right in with the family! And you are so right. he deserves to live out his days being pampered by the kids!!

Beansieleigh said...

Oh my gosh, he's BEAUTIFUL Kristina! Congrats to you, on this newest member of your family!.. Have a great weekend! ~tina

Unknown said...

thanx for sharing this great story w/us