Skip to main content

Homemade Vapo-Rub


Remember those baby food jars I needed?  Well, I finally got around to making one jar of homemade vapo-rub.  I think I will be trying several recipes.


A farmgirl shared the recipe with me.  This recipe is for adults (over the age of 12 I believe, but you could always swap out the peppermint for a safe oil for children).  Always do your research on what oils are safe, if you have young children, infants or if you are pregnant.





First, you'll need to measure out 1/4 cup of olive oil, and grate 2 teaspoons of beeswax.  Mix them, and melt over a double boiler.

Remove from heat.  Add (I used organic essential oils):

25-35 drops peppermint oil
15 drops eucalyptus oil
10 drops rosemary oil

Mix, and pour into a container to store.  I used a recycled baby food jar.  Allow to cool, and cover with a lid.  This fills a 4 oz. baby food jar about halfway.  According to my scale, it produced 1.95 ounces.  I may even try doubling this for this size jar.

There are many recipes for this, and you can probably search the internet for more, using different oils.  This was my first time making this, and the real test, will be if the family can live without their usual Vick's Vapo-rub (and use my homemade vapo-rub instead).  

Why did I make it?  I know the ingredients that are used are healthy and organic.  There is no petroleum jelly in this, and the cost is much lower.  Have you seen the prices for Vick's Vapo-rub recently?  Wal-mart sells it for almost $7.00, and it's 3.53 oz.   

I can tell you, right off the bat, that I think I prefer less peppermint oil (I used 25 drops of peppermint), and more eucalyptus oil.  I have also read that you can use coconut oil (which will give it a white color vs. a yellow color if using olive oil). 

Update:  One kiddo (14 year-old) used this for congestion, and within 5 minutes, she had clear breathing.  I think everyone will have different preferences on which oils to use when making this.

Note:  If you use olive oil, it will easily soften, and may even need to be refrigerated during summer weather (to hold the thick texture).  I thought about making this with coconut oil, but then again, I have the same softening issues with my homemade deodorant (softening in warmer weather, and made with coconut oil).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart