Skip to main content

Peppers, Bats and Rats

I just had to share this.  We got three habanero peppers from the garden this year.  That's all.  I think we planted 4 habanero pepper plants among our 50-some pepper plants this season.

Check out how small they are too.  Hubby had to laugh when he saw them.  I'm not sure what I will make with them yet. Possibly a second trial run on a hot pepper jelly.

I got three cayenne peppers too.  Those went in the salsa I recently canned.  I think we got one very small green pepper and some super chili peppers.

I'm praying that next year's investments will be producing more bounty overall. 

Only in our house.....will you watch the sunrise, sip coffee, and chat with your kids about what bat and rat poop looks like.  

We have a rat and a bat living in the upper loft of our goat/chicken barn and rat traps are being set.  However, my 16 year-old was attacked early morning by a bat, while tending to her goats.  She laughed, and said she used her goat's mineral feeder to cover her head and run.  Bats are great, but not when then they take over the barn.  I am thinking we really do need to build a bat house.

Comments

Kim said…
Yup, I believe a bat house is in order. Need to make him feel at home before he leaves for good.
Mama Pea said…
That's a pretty puny pepper! What do you think happened to all your pepper plants? Was the summer too cool?

I'm surprised the bat swooped down on your daughter this morning. Aren't they supposed to be nocturnal? The only time we see them around here is at dusk when they come out for their hunting of insects.
We had way too much rain early in the season, and a late frost (which never happens here) as well. It was pretty much flooded out, and it killed off 90% of our garden. The moisture caused mold, and everything died off. Then it got very hot, and dry. Only a few pepper plants are still growing, but as you see, producing very small and very little. We did manage to get some tomatoes, but not much else. It was a very bad harvest for us. I did not can sauce, ketchup, or my taco sauce this year. Sad, sad, sad.
I forgot to comment on the bat. Not sure why it was flying out in the morning. I just hope it's not sick. That's the last thing we need.
RB said…
Don't forget you can string and dry peppers, especially those one doesn't have many of or ones that are too strong. Then once dry, you can pulverize into a powder, mix to suit your family's taste, and add to soups, stews, beans, meat dishes, etc. to spike them up a little - or a lot.

When stringing (I just use a long sewing needle and some quilting thread), be sure to leave about a finger width of space between each one for air circulation, or where they touch, they may rot instead of dry. I put a little knot in the thread between each one as I'm adding them to keep them spaced cause they shrink a little as they dry, and then will move towards each other without the knot there.

Before pulverizing, you can either leave the seeds in for more heat, or you can remove them. I always remove them so we get the pure flavor and heat of the pepper itself.

And personally, I mix all the pepper dust together. We call it "Devil Dust" because it's so hot but it's very tasty too. LOL

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart