Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, January 4, 2013

Excerpts from a Journal Junkie


from the family journal . . .

 ...we received a lovely sympathy card from one of my brother's and his wife.  The artwork on the card looks just like Gus. 

...two of the girls went sledding with friends.  They even tried to fit the dog pool in their car to take (didn't happen, ha ha ha!)

 

from the homesteading journal . . .

...still working on the goat stalls.  We can't wait much longer, as the roofing ripped off even more during the last snow storm.

...still researching more recipes that utilize our pantry/freezer stock.  A man my hubby knows has offered to teach us how to make wine from his nephew's pear trees.  It's not a necessity, so it's not really on the top of my list, but more so for a fun self-sufficiency experience.

 ...still hanging our laundry outside, despite the snow.  We have had good winds and sunshine, and it only took a few minutes to warm them in from of the fire.  Boy did my bedding smell good.

...adding up the egg totals for the remainder of 2012.

...used the last of my cooked (and then frozen) dry beans.  I need to get both crockpots cooking black and kidney beans this week.  This has saved us money and is so much healthier than using so many store brand cans of beans. 

  


from the handiwork journal . . .

...working on more Christmas ornaments.  A few can be seen on my S.C.R.A.P. Blog, but some won't be posted until next Christmas.

...working on sewing up yo-yo's with a large box of scrap fabric.  I am so thankful to receive these scraps from a dear friend.

...dug out my "unfinished" project list to work on as well.




from my personal journal . . .

...the lymph node in my neck is still swollen, but reduced in size.  It seems like it's taking forever, but the organic teas and oils are helping.

...I've been organizing my printed craft patterns again.  I got side tracked and now they are neatly being put into their 3-ring binders, and I even have tab dividers to separate the types of projects (and crochet and knitting projects are in separate books too).

...purchased a planner to keep track of my writing in this year (deadlines, contests, words written etc).  It's a good motivator. 



from the gratitude journal . . .

Today I am thankful for...
~ for warm slippers that hubby bought me for Christmas (am thankful for these to wear during the day when dogs drag in snow, and thankful for my gifted red knitted pair to wear at nightfall).

~ for my warm cozy bathrobe 


~ for the propane that is still in the propane tank

~ for beautiful winter sunrises, filled with gorgeous colors


~ for the eggs the chickens keep providing, and the delicious meals I can make with them (not to mention desserts)

~  for the library, and all the resources they provide.

~ for the delicious coffee's, hot chocolates, teas, and wine we received for Christmas.

~ for today's sunshine.

~ for God's Promises.

 


from the exercise journal . . .

...still doing a weekly weigh in, and keeping fit on a regular basis.  I have more weight to lose, but it's slowly coming off.   

5 comments:

Nancy Jo said...

Hi Kris,
I know just what those clothes on the line smell like. When I lived on the farm they were dried outside in the winter then brought in to dry by the fire.
Nancy Jo

Candy C. said...

Very nice post and I love your new slippers! I have been wearing my scarf every morning when we go walking, it's been so nice and warm! :)

Michelle said...

I use to hang my clothes on the line in winter. Haven't done it in years. Don't really know why I stopped.

Sam I Am...... said...

You are so motivating! Thank you so much for taking the time to blog about it....I have so enjoyed and been inspired by it.
I'm liking how you separate your different journals...I think I would like to do that and maybe I could stay focused more that way.
I was just thinking the other day about those fingerless gloves that everyone is making and they would be great for hanging out clothes on the line when it's chilly/cold. Happy New Year to you and yours!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Lots of busyness and lots accomplished ~ good for you! Love the photo, especially the clothes on the line with the beautiful white snow. :)