Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

From the Homesteading Journal . . .


...canned two batches of Holiday CranberryJam. I was quite pleased with it.  Thank you Candy at Lazy J Bar C Farm for your post on this.


...mixed up more dry, homemade taco mix.



...mixed up some homemade toothpaste for the first time.  There are so many recipes for this. One said 6 Tbsp. each of coconut oil and baking soda (plus the oils), and another said 3 Tbsp. of each.  Hmm?  I tried the one making the smaller batch using organic tea tree oil and organic peppermint oil.

I was quite pleased how creamy it turned out.  

. . . cooked up 2 lbs. each of dry small red beans, black beans, and pinto beans.  They went into the freezer for future meals.



10 comments:

EMMA said...

I have been a convert to your homemade deodorant for months now, so I'm sure I'm going to love this tooth paste. Can you use it everyday or is it abrasive?
I left a comment on your keychains but it doesn't seem to have worked?
Great collection!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Emma, I didn't post it, since you had your e-mail address it the comment. I didn't think you'd want your e-mail address on here.

As for the toothpaste, you can add salt for an abrasive if you'd like, but I don't. I do use it daily, and so far like it. It's just getting over the texture and taste for me.

I have never opened the bible keychain, so I will see if it's completely sealed. If not I will open it and see if it really contains words. I think I found it years ago at my dollar store. I have not seen them again since then.

Unknown said...

Wow, you are being so domestic! I just can't go there...too dark and dreary out. Maybe I will start organizing stuff...that should help.

EMMA said...

Hi again, forgot to ask - how many drop of peppermint/tea-tree do you use? and is it safe for kids? I never quite know what to do with taking essential oils internally when it comes to children, I've heard it's a definite no no for under 12's. But I guess you don't actually swallow toothpaste...

Michelle said...

Is there a recipe for people with sensitive teeth? I would love to be able to make my own toothpaste .

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I'm not sure if there is a combination for sensitive teeth. That's a good question.

As for the amount of oils. I split up about 20-25 drops total of the two I used, but you could use other oils too.

This is our first recipe to try, but I like the way my teeth feel after using it.

As for kids using it, I am not sure. I have read other blogs where they do have it for the kids, but their ages are not given. I guess you could e-mail the company in which you buy the oils from, or speak to a holistic expert. The next time I am in town, I will see if I can stop in the store and ask too.

Candy C. said...

You have been busy! I'm glad you liked the jam, we sure have been enjoying it! :)

Unknown said...

I might try that. Is it cheaper too or about the same price?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

It's a lot less (cost). Next time I may reduce the coconut oil to 2Tbsp. I have seen recipes where there is no coconut oil, but I wanted to try this one, as the oil is said to be a natural whitener too.

Sam I Am...... said...

I haven't tried homemade toothpaste but it sounds like a good idea!
You also answered a question I've had which was "can you cook beans up ahead of time and freeze them for dishes"? I want to stop buying canned and use the the bagged ones but I always forget to soak them the night before so I thought if I could cook them up and freeze them I'd have them ready. Sounds like from you that I can! I swear you read my mind! LOL! Thanks!