Skip to main content

From the Handiwork Journal . . .


 . . . I am up to about 52 feet on my braid of rags for my rag rug.  This was kind of forgotten about over summer and the holidays.  This project continues.


. . . still plugging away at knitting basket weave blocks for a blanket. 
 

. . . my 11 year-old daughter knitted her first bean bag.  She still needs practice, but she continues to learn.

 You may also like to read this post:  Crocheted Rag Rug

 

Comments

Candy C. said…
Your daughter did a great job for her first project! :)
I really like the basket weave blocks, they will make a lovely blanket.
How many feet of rag braid will you need to make a rug?
For one for my bathroom sink, I am thinking I need about 80 maybe? I cut my strips a bit thinner than I should have, so my braid is not too wide. One lesson learned. I am not ironing them and folding them like most directions say to do either. I am just braiding and then sewing it all together.
Michelle said…
I need to make a rug. It would be a great way to use up all the fabric that will never be used in a quilt. Tell your daughter great job.
GrannyAnnie said…
Your daughter did a great job!

I can't wait to see both of those projects when you get them finished! I hadn't thought of a rag rug. I have all of these clothes that I intercepted from the flea market before they went into the dumpster. Some have faded shoulders (from being hung out on racks in the sun), some have a little tear or spot here or there and some had just not sold over time and they were simply tired of them and wanted new stock. I just can't stand to see all of that fabric go into the dumpster, so I bring it all home and hunt things to make out of them. Guess I better do some reading to see how to make a rag rug to see if that would work. Do you have instructions any where on here?
I will see if I still have print instructions for the one I already made by crocheting the strips together. I simply cut or rip material to about 2 inches wide, and sew the ends together, then roll in rag balls. I think there may be a photo of my crocheted one on my blog, I'll check and add the link if I can find it. I've never braided one before, so this is a first for this project.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart