Skip to main content

Yarn Needles, Chickens and Health

Use an over-sized safety pin to hold yarn needles.  I can pin this to just about anything when I am working on a project.

We lost one of our Araucana pullets yesterday.  Such a sad loss.  My 15 year-old daughter has been working with them and they are very friendly with us.   She started to feed another hen with a dropper, in hopes to solve the issues.  We believe they have worms and we are treating them with apple cider vinegar.  They enjoyed being outside yesterday.


After 6 hours of weeding and tilling  and harvesting the garden, I spent the night in bed with my foot up.  Yep, I did it again.  It hurts so bad I can't walk on it.  Between that muscle (I can't remember what the doctor called it) and my sciatic nerves, I won't be able to do much this week.  This is not a good thing.


I did start another batch of goat's milk ricotta cheese. It will need to be rinsed today and put in the refrigerator.  I hope to make (or have a daughter make) lasagna with it.

Comments

Girl!
stay off that foot if you can. I guess you'll be getting to knit a little bit more too. sorry to hear about the chick.
We started out with 13 and are down to 11.
The people on the corner had about 35 or so ravaged by a bobcat! That is so close to home. I try to make sure mine are put up early and let out late!
take care, Pat
Carolyn said…
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter's chickens. Although I've been ripping on chickens lately, I readily admit that I have set up chicken infirmaries int he barn, brought sick chickens in the house, soaked chicken bums in warm water to try and relieve egg bound hens and probably a ton more wacky things that my husband would roll his eyes at me.

We use most of our goat milk ricotta in lasagna or Hillbilly lasagna (spaghetti noodles instead of the lasagna noodles).
Unknown said…
I lost chciekns to worms too. NOw I use a natural wormer mixed with their food. Do you have plantar fascitis? Me too...
Unknown said…
Remember to put a link to my blog to qualify for the giveaway!
Susan said…
I use Diatomaceous Earth in their feed, once a month, to tackle worms. It seems to work well. I also sprinkle it in the nesting boxes to help with mites.
Candy C. said…
Sorry about your chicken, it's always so hard to lose one of the animals.
That's a bummer about your foot and sciatic too! Take it easy and hopefully it will start getting better.
Thank you for all the advice for caring for the chickens. I'll let my dd know. Yes Nancy, that is what I have, I just couldn't remember the name.
Sam I Am...... said…
I think our bodies let us know when it's time to rest or have more balance in our lives. Maybe 6 hours was a bit much and next time maybe take more breaks, work out there every day for a shorter amount of time? I have arthritis and I have found the best shoes are my Asics. They are the only ones I wear...all day, every day and it has alleviated any foot pain I used to have.
Good luck! Hope you feel better!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart