Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Kohlrabi Patties with Onion

With several home grown (organic) kohlrabi ready to harvest, I decided to make patties with them.  These were delicious!  They required no salt either.  This reminds of meals the pioneers could make - straight from the garden (aside from the flour, but they could grind their own flour too).



Kohlrabi Patties
(Adapted from Rodale's Basic Natural Foods Cookbook, Edited by Charles Gerras)

Trim ends, peel, and shred 6 medium kohlrabi. Place the them into a pot and fill with water to cover.   Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer.  Place a lid on top and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Drain the kohlrabi.
Place the drained kohlrabi back into the pot and add one small chopped garden onion (or organic onion), 3-4 Tbsp. of whole wheat flour, 1 farm fresh/organic egg, and black pepper (taste and adjust to your liking).  Stir.
Melt organic butter into a skillet and drop sections of the mix to make patties about 2-2 1/2 inches wide.  Anything larger than 3 inches will be more difficult to flip.  Brown the patties on each side until golden brown and crisp.  Serve while hot.
Note:  If mix has cooled enough you can make patties with your hand prior to placing them into the skillet.

We've made squash patties a few years ago, now it's kohlrabi patties.  Yum! 

3 comments:

EMMA said...

These look delicious! I don't think i've ever noticed kohlrabi here, I will be scanning the market for them on saturday. I make a similar thing with zucchini and potato.
I tried making your red clover jelly yesterday but I didn't meet with as much success as you! mine came out very runny, but I used it today as a substitute for maple syrup in a recipe and it worked just fine.
Hope your foot is feeling better.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Emma, the key to the clover jelly (using the recipe I posted with pectin and 3 1/2 cups plus 2 TBSP sugar) coming out right is to stir constantly, even while pouring in the sugar. Sometimes I stir and have the kids pour it in.

Sam I Am...... said...

Reminds me of the potato patties I used to make with leftover mashed potatoes. Great idea! I bet you could use a lot of veggies for that; sweet potato and cauliflower too.