Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Potatoes

I think I bought our red seed potatoes for about $15.00 or less.  I didn't record it in my garden journal - tsk tsk.  However, it was worth planting.  

We've enjoyed several meals with them already, and I am freezing red potatoes tonight.  We dug up over half of them, and still have more to dig up.  If you take the cost of a bag of potatoes in the store and compare it to what you can grow and freeze - WOW!  What a savings to our family.  And not to mention how healthy they are.

Once we get a root cellar built, I can put some in there also.

Last year was the first season to plant potatoes.  We had enough to feed us until the season was over, but wanted to prepare more.

Once I invest in a pressure canner, we can also can potatoes.  There are so many possibilities yet.


This year, we succeeded, but will have to plant more varieties.  This year we planted 2 types of white and one type of red. 

1 comment:

Candy C. said...

Good for you!! I have thought about growing potatoes but will need to look into how well they do here in the desert.