Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, August 28, 2011

More Tomatoes

Our pantry was blessed with 4 1/2 more quarts of home canned tomato sauce.  This time I did not add any of my larger tomatoes.  I used all Roma tomatoes and my kitchen smelled so good.  I use the seasoned tomato sauce recipe in the Ball canning book.

4 comments:

Candy C. said...

Kristina,
I have a question that maybe you can help me with. I have a lot of yellow pear, red pear and sweet 100 tomatoes and I want to use them to make some salsa and can it. Everything says to peel the tomatoes before making salsa to can but that would be hard with these little guys. Do you think I should try it or just use them in salads and fresh salsa?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

If you boil the tomatoes for 30-60 seconds in water, then immediately put them in an ice bath, the tomato skins will just about fall off themselves. I'm guessing with smaller tomatoes, it will take less boil time. Last year our Roma tomatoes were small, so I made salsa for the fridge vs. canning with a hot water bath.

Candy C. said...

Thanks Kristina! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Something else Candy, is that I froze tomatoes whole last year. When they thawed, the peelings came right off (my smaller roma tomatoes).