Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Blooming Sunflowers

First one to bloom.

 When we first moved here, we explored the barns.  I found this water trough, with a rusted out bottom.  We pulled it out of the barn and put it in front of this barn.  The horse shoe shaped drive is in front of it.

I thought it would make a nice flower "pot" for sunflowers, with the bright yellow against the red barn.  Just don't look at all those tall weeds around the bottom.  We need to borrow the trimmer again, and trim around all of our barns already.  I can't let the goats trim them, or I will lose my garden, herbs, and my sunflowers.  
I also read that I can cover the heads of my sunflowers with cheese cloth, to prevent the birds eating them, while they dry.  The sunflowers we planted are edible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love sunflowers! I read that you can steam the "head" once the seeds are removed, supposed to taste like artichoke hearts. Haven't tried that yet, but sounds good!