Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Clean Eating Wins Again ~ Minestrone Soup with Quinoa

For dinner, we made Minestrone Soup with Quinoa, from Clean Eating Magazine.  It was the first time for any of us to eat Fennel also.  The recipe calls for plum tomatoes, peeled, and seeded.  I did not do that.  I had roma tomatoes from the garden and simply used those.  I used fresh Thyme and Basil from my herb gardens.  It's time to start growing them inside for winter use (fresh).

I was surprised that I could function, with my hands, enough to chop the vegetables, but I did.  The soup did not really fill my kids up, so for us it would be a side dish.  The best part of the recipes is that it does not require a store bought chicken or beef broth.  The vegetables and herbs create a wonderful flavor, and all without the sodium.  We give this recipe "2 thumbs up."

No comments: