Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Deer Season ~ Chickens ~ Homemade Noodles

Most of the surrounding corn fields have been harvested, but a few remain.  Yesterday, as I was enjoying my "porch time" I was lucky to see a deer across the property, walking along the edge of a corn field.  I called for the kids to see and they too enjoyed the moment.  Later in the evening, while my 16 year-old was working on the computer, she screamed for me.  I was too late, but two of the kids saw two doe up close and personal.  They came right through our property, from the woods, and crossed the street.  They were not little either.  I caught a glimpse of the backside of the second one running away.

I hope we don't have to bring our porch furniture in too soon this fall, because we are really enjoying the beauty we see out here.  Our barn cats even come to the porch when we have our "porch  time" alone or together.  They seem to enjoy the company.

The chickens however, are getting pretty naughty.  They have discovered the mulch in my front flower beds and have kicked it everywhere.  They are about the healthiest chickens I know, because they are not restricted to where they roam.  Rooster is getting pretty smart too.  As soon as I chase him out of the flower beds, along with his "women" he will run around into a circle, and run right back to the flower beds.  I had to laugh yesterday when they tried to get into the barn cat food, and one cat was eating.  Rooster got chased away and hissed at.

Today, it's raining and cooler out.  I won't be splitting firewood, or hanging my laundry out, but will be focusing on a clutter spot to clean up and writing.  In weather situations like these, I do wash laundry, but hang them on my indoor clothesline and drying racks.

We enjoyed our homemade noodles for dinner last night.  I have to say, the tasted pretty good.  I purchased clearance priced beef stew meat, and cooked it in the slow cooker, creating tasty beef and broth.  The kids, and my husband, all had seconds, and then blamed me for their tummy aches! Ha ha ha ha!  I do believe we will be making homemade noodles on a regular basis.

No comments: