Skip to main content

Spiced Nuts (Recipe)

 

We've been making spiced nuts for the last 18 years.  Crazy, how much time has passed while writing this blog.  

Christmas time brought us recipes that used mixed nuts, and other ingredients, that never got used up (or used at all).  There was a lot going on this past holiday, so I'm slowly using up the unused ingredients. 

I had about a cup of cashews (should have been cashew brittle at Christmas), a bit of walnuts, and I had some mixed nuts (I buy these non-gmo, with zero bad oils, but it contains way too many almonds), we also had some pumpkin seeds, and.....

....we had some of these non-gmo chocolate type candies (healthier option to M & M's in Christmas cookies).  By the way, we bought both to test out for holiday baking.  We did not really like either one, and both are very expensive options.

I tossed all of the nuts and pumpkin seeds into a bowl, and roasted our favorite spiced nuts.  Let it cool completely, and then tossed in the leftover chocolate candies.  It filled two quart jars for snacking.  Most importantly, we found a way to utilize it all, and the small amount of chocolate bits make it a perfect on-the-road, every day, or hiking snack.

Here is how we make it:

Spiced Nuts

1 egg white - whisk this until frothy
(add that egg yolk to your morning breakfast)

Add: 1 tsp. water
1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (1/2 tsp. for less heat)
1/4 tsp. salt (or more if you'd like)

Toss in 3 cups mixed nuts/seeds and coat well.

Roast at 325°F for 25 minutes, on a rimmed baking dish (I use parchment paper or my stoneware baking dish), and stir at least once while baking.  Cool completely, and store in an airtight container.  Enjoy!

If 3 cups is too much for you, share with a neighbor or friend.  Winter time is hard on many people.

Spiced Nuts (Recipe)  ©  February 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Faith said…
This recipe sounds so good. I'll have to pick up some nuts next time we go to Amish. Thank you for sharing, hope you are well.
Jeanna said…
Oh my! Those sound delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
This sounds good, except I'm not sure about the cayenne pepper And the cumin...might be a bit spicy for my taste, but I bet it really is good. I'd have to try it before I commit to making it! Do you send out samples? LOL.
Faith you are welcome. We love the roasted nuts at Troyers store, but if you know of a better place please let me know. If I remember (it's been a while, ha ha!) the nuts at Troyers are roasted with no bad oils. Yes, we are doing well, thank you.
Pamela M. Steiner, it is very good. We made it once with less cayenne, and my husband insisted on the 1 tsp. I used a bit more than 3 cups, so it went further, but still delicious snack to have on hand. Makes a nice quick, easy gift, and a nice appetizer for a get together too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart