Skip to main content

Ditch the Doubt ~ Toss it Out! New Recipe Tried and Misc. Tidbits


I have finally sorted the odd assortment of Christmas items from last month's purge, and yes some went into the trash.   If you need permission, ditch the doubt and toss it out!  The rest donated.  Job complete. ✔  

What else can one do when it's -15°F (again), and there isn't even "wind" outside.  It's cold here.  More snow is in the forecast.  


One new recipe that also went into the trash - a millet bar recipe.  I thought it would be "fun" to buy some organic puffed millet and make a really easy recipe, but it tasted horrible.  The small amount of puffed millet cost me $1.33. 




A recipe I will keep!  Oh my goodness it was so good.  By the way, it was a recipe I had, and wanted to try to the last two years.  Literally.  I don't think I have ever roasted acorn squash, because it was always one squash that never grew to size here (have no idea why as we can grow all other squash).

My husband kept telling me how his Mom baked acorn acorn squash, and insinuated that I make it the same way.  I did not.  I tried this recipe, and I prepared the inner mixings the day before (minus the squash), so it can be done that way too.

The recipe is online with Farmhouse on the Boone, called "Stuffed Acorn Squash with Sausage and Apples" but be aware that the website is heavily loaded with ads (recipe states "apples" but you use one apple).  Very annoying ads.  I used my cell phone to obtain the recipe, and even that way can be annoying, but the recipe is worth trying.  Especially if you have apples in your cellar or basement from your fall producing apple trees and/or garden grown garlic.



Who knew?  Sometime last year, a hotel we stayed at gave guests a free newspaper.  We found a free full page puzzle page for our entertainment, but I brought it home for "on the road" reading too.  Who knew it would come in handy for re-potting plants indoors during winter?  We don't get a newspaper here, so I was thankful we still had it "messy" jobs around here.

I can now take homemade hand lotion, and other toiletries that require refilling, on the road (travel or for home).  I have used amber glass jars for a long time, but when it comes to taking something on-the-go, glass is tricky.  These tubes came in two sizes, and the refill hole is a nice enough size to refill as often as needed.

I have a homemade hand lotion recipe that I make, but it leaves my hands "oily" for too long of a time.  I'm now on the hunt for a recipe that is much closer to one that I purchased last year (also homemade with organic ingredients).  It was thick, and it absorbed much better.   Thank goodness for the library and their inter-loan program, in order to access many books for this hunt.

One more fun item to share:
I honestly forgot about, until I came across them again to wash up.  I did not find these in your everyday box store either.  I found them at a store operated by the Amish last year.  They are salt and pepper shakers, with spring top lids to keep them closed off.  I thought they'd be great for outdoor grilling and/or camping.  They were just a few dollars too.

I don't have anymore "new" recipes to try, but I'm sure a few will sneak into the meal plan here and there. Oh, we do have one more recipe to try that uses home canned pickled jalapenos.

Ditch the Doubt ~ Toss it Out~  New Recipe Tried and Misc. Tidbits  ©  February 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart


Comments

Carol said…
My husband does not like to try many new recipes, but I am slowly trying to introduce a few new ones into the mix.
I don't like it when I make a new recipe and have to toss it out , but it happens sometimes.
Betsy said…
We had spring here today. 57F. Can you believe it? We even went to our camper and dreamed a bit about going somewhere. Maybe next month when all of the doctor appointments and surgery is done. Actually we had some things to take to the camper and we wanted to make sure it withstood the arctic blast alright. Well, as far as we can know until water is running in the pipes again.
That recipe looks delicious. I used to grow acorn squash in my garden in Spokane and I miss it. I'm going to try to go to more farmers markets this year for produce.
Stay warm!
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Leigh said…
I'm going to need to put the "when in doubt" saying in a prominent place when I tackle restoring our almost finished front room. I did a huge purge a couple years ago, but some things were put into maybe boxes. With more storage space I can organize better, but I still have too much stuff. :)
Carol, I pretty much seek out a new recipe, when I have one item in my pantry or freezer to use up, and get tired of the same recipes.
Anne in the kitchen, I agree, but yes it does happen. Thankfully, not very often.
Betsy, wow, that weather sounds fantastic. The acorn squash was very good.
Leigh, life really changes when our kids moved out. We had so many holiday decorations it was crazy. The kids decorated every room pretty much. I'm glad we are getting it done, and it is so much less to store/clean too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart