Skip to main content

Uses for Yellow Squash Relish



I had a few pints of yellow (straight neck) squash relish to use up.  It appears to be an item we don't use as often as I though we would.  I read it's great on hotdogs.  We don't eat hotdogs.  I also canned it in pints vs. half-pints, like I should have. Of course it's good on burgers too, but then we have most of the jar to use up before it goes bad.
Here is what I tried with the yellow squash relish, and liked it.

Over Black Beans:


First up, I soaked black beans, then cooked them in the crocky the next day (with chopped onion and minced garlic sauteed and added).

On Burritos: 

We topped burritos with the black beans, eggs, and squash relish.  Pretty darn good, and some added veggies.


Add to rice:

Simply add some to cooked rice and enjoy as a side or use the topping burritos.


In Potato Salad:

Next up I made a potato salad using it (with our homegrown potatoes). 


In Tuna/chicken salads:

Works pretty good.  Tastes great with just some organic mayo and squash relish. I grilled my sandwich with a slice of Monterrey jack cheese. Mmm.


Over meats/fish:

Spread a bit of it over a slice of meatloaf, fish,  etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart