Skip to main content

Sweet Potato Pie Recipe

(pie while cooling, top will drop down a bit)


Sweet Potato Pie
(organic ingredients) 

Boil 1 lb of sweet potatoes (I use a kitchen scale to weigh the sweet potatoes) for 45-50 minutes or until cooked, then place sweet potatoes into an ice bath (safe bowl to add ice and water) to cool.  Peel and place in a bowl with:


1/2 cup softened butter.  Mix well - hand or electric mixer works well.

Add:


2 eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk*
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. lemon juice 

Mix well, and pour into an unbaked single pie shell.*


Bake at 350°F for 55-60 minutes or until done.
*any milk may work, but I think evaporated works best 
*use your favorite pie crust recipe

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
That looks delicious, what would you serve it with? I am going to give it a try.
Mama Pea said…
I've made "pumpkin" pie with red kuri squash a lot but never with sweet potatoes. We can't grow sweet potatoes up here (darn!) 'cause our growing season isn't warm enough for them, but I do buy a couple at our co-op for eating as a side dish. Love 'em!
RB said…
WOW!!! That pie looks so scrumptious, I can almost smell it's wonderful aroma from your picture. LOL
God bless.
RB
<><
mamasmercantile, we topped it with whipped cream. Yum.
Rain said…
That looks great Kristina! It really "rounded" up, I've never seen that before!
Rain, yeah, the pie goes down to a level top after it cools completely.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart