Skip to main content

Overnight Breakfast Recipe

Sharing the recipe as promised.  I'll get the sweet potato pie recipe up soon too.   You are getting two blogposts today, due to this. . .


Woke up to this again.  Rain.  I can't do garden work, work on the barn siding, barn rubble, nor weed the last of the flower bed either.  The rain has been playing havoc on getting outdoor work completed.  And because I'm out of bacon fat, I don't want to roast the last 8 pumpkins either.  No way am I roasting them without roasting the seeds.  My whiskey-bacon pumpkin seeds went super duper fast.  Lick-ity split fast.  I'm out of bacon and whiskey.  Oh, don't worry.  I'll be tearing apart my vacuum sweeper and tackling some cleaning, getting another article written, and possibly some porch time and handiwork in the mean time.

Back to the recipe.

.
I know I complicate things by using homemade ingredients, so if you don't want the extra work, just use store bought.  Most of the ingredients can be purchased organic as well (vs. making it).

I have provided links to my blog, where the "homemade" ingredient recipes can be located.  

I told you I like to complicate a recipe, didn't I?  Ha ha!

 (before adding cheese on top)

Overnight Breakfast Casserole
There is no rule to how much meat you add to this.  I used:

8 oz. of organic bacon, cooked and torn into small pieces
1/2 to 3/4 lb. of cooked homemade sausage*

Layer 2 1/2 cups of homemade herbed croutons in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish (lightly oiled or sprayed with non-stick spray).


In a small skillet saute:
1/2 onion, diced
fresh mushrooms, chopped (or 1 can, 4.5 oz. drained)
1 jalapeno, finely diced, optional

Allow to cool while mixing the next ingredients.


In a bowl, mix:

2 1/4 cups milk*
6 eggs
1 "can" homemade condensed mushroom soup 
1 - 10 oz.  package of frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1/4 tsp. dry mustard*


Fold meats and mushroom mix into the wet mixture and gently pour over the croutons.

Bake at 325°F for 50-60 minutes, or until set.  

I topped ours with a small bit of Monterrey Jack cheese just after taking it from the oven.  It is very hot to eat right away, so we let it sit for a few minutes and the cheese melted nicely on top.


*how I make homemade croutons:  here
*how I make homemade condensed mushroom soup:  here
*how I make the homemade sausage:  here
(original recipe calls for "spicy" sausage, if you make homemade, you can add extra red pepper flakes too)
  
The homemade ingredients can be made any time and placed into the freezer until needed.  

I purchase my dry mustard bulk due to using so much with canning.  It is sold organic that way. 

I'm thinking of cutting the milk back a bit, or adding a 1/2 cup more croutons.  I felt it took longer to get the center of this dish to cook all the way through.  I'm considering using other greens too - dandelion, collards, beet greens, turnip greens, swiss chard perhaps?  Just my thoughts on this.

Comments

Susan said…
Homemade/grown ingredients may complicate a recipe, but it makes it so much better! This looks absolutely delicious!
Susan, you are right about it tasting good. We only have 3 meat eaters here and it went very fast when I made it. Yum.
Looks good (apart from the meat as I'm a vegetarian!!!). Don't much like the look of your rain though!
Thx for visiting my blog, and yes the Finish for the Weekend is done every Friday, the link up stays open til Monday noon (UK time). Hope to see you joining in soon!
Jillxo
mamasmercantile said…
It is raining here too so the little jobs I had planned will have to wait. The recipes look amazing, well done you for having all homemade/grown ingredients. I can only imagine the taste...yummy.
Thanks Jill, you may be the one who helps me get some handiwork projects done. Oh, and I have one vegetarian still living at home, so I do make vegetarian dishes often, or just leave meat out for her serving.
mamasmercantile, I have so many cleaning projects on my list right now - clean ceiling fans, wash more curtains, etc etc. An on-going rainy day list for most, but for curtains, I hang dry them. I enjoy making my homemade ingredients. Thanks.
That looks delicious and I grew up with home made and that's how my family still cooks. As soon as I finish unpacking boxes from my big move, I'll churn some Jersey cream into butter. Then will have the butter with home made biscuits and Daddy's honey and friend Nancy's fresh eggs.
If people got a taste of homemade, there would be a revolution!
Sandra, you are right. Homemade is not just good, but healthy.
Rain said…
I love the combination of egg and sausage, that's how I make my frittatas. Breakfast looks great! Even though the rain is bothersome right now, that photo is really nice.
Rain, I think this is the first time for me to bake with both bacon and sausage in one dish. Thanks for the compliment on the photo.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart