Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, October 27, 2017

Friday Finish and One Liners

I got a little bit of time each day to catch up on handiwork. The rain helped me out, although I should have been shampooing carpets or something else, ha ha!


I was thinking "from stash to cash" for this project, but I'm not so sure about it now.  Maybe just the coasters.


I finished this coaster and cozy set for myself.  I was feeling the fall weather, with the dreary cold and wet weather we were getting early in the week.

My "Grad" Daughter eye-spied it, and exclaimed, "I want one of those!"  

She may get one.  In her stocking or for Christmas.  Maybe.  The only problem with the matching cozy, is that the granny square fits larger mugs only.  I didn't follow the pattern either.   Instead of two squares, I used one and then made the strap and added buttons.  I wanted an area to drink my coffee without getting yarn in my mouth.  I also used scrap, 100% cotton I had in my stash.



I used buttons from my craft stash too.  Hard to believe I only paid $.25 for them.  Glad I have a stash of them too.

I started to pull more scraps of my cotton yarn to make more coasters to sell at the market and possibly online as well.  I just wish I could make the cozy to match each one.  Sets sell pretty well, but the cozy needs custom made to the mug a person owns.

Not to worry, I make other items using the granny square, so other sets can still be created by buyers.



 I said goodbye to two more older magazines.


 Cracked more walnuts, and saved more walnut shells for fire starters.







Current library loot.






Started a jar of pickled garlic cloves. 

 I finally washed the gloves, hats and a few scarves.

More rain is on the way.





10 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Our "rain" has turned to SNOW! Yippee, winter time in my quilt room is starting today! (I'm thinking our snow will melt soon, but I'm pretending for this one day.)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, we are to get snow soon too. I guess I'll be having a date with the sewing machine, ha ha! So far, just rain and cold here.

Rain said...

Nice set of books there! Alex has eczema, and he's suffering a lot lately, especially on his hands. I've been all over the internet looking for something that'll really help him...I found a recipe for an oatmeal soak...I need to get some books on home remedies and herbal remedies...all of these things online can get a little iffy! I love your cozy and coaster!! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Rain, I haven't had much time to crochet big projects, so it was a "little" finish, ha ha! I know what you mean about some of the online recipes being somewhat iffy, however, I found our hand lotion recipe online (and we love it). The books I have gotten from the library usually leave me with a long list of "try-its" too, ha ha!

Susan said...

As usual, your 'normal' day is the equivalent of five of mine! I love the colors on those crocheted sets - what a great idea. I bet they would sell like hotcakes!

mamasmercantile said...

Could you buy some mugs from a thrift store and then make the sets to sell, they were a best seller when I did the craft fairs. I marketed them as recycled so there was no deceit. I also made mug hugs using fleece fabric and then added a hot chocolate sachet and chocolate spoon which I made myself. Hope that helps.

Sam I Am...... said...

The crochet set is so pretty. Maybe you could find some mugs the right size at the Thrift store and include them thus making even more money! Then you would have your 'sets'. The colors are gorgeous. The books all looks good and I can see you've been busy per usual. You can't keep a good woman down!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, with no color pattern, and using scraps, I was thrilled with the results. Thanks!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, you are awesome!! Thanks for that tip!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, you are the second person to suggest the thrift store. I may see how their prices compare to our dollar store.