Skip to main content

. . .from stash to trash

Since I'm on a roll with new recipes. . .and because I have a reputation of "stirring" up the holidays with something of the alcohol nature (for the adults of course), I have wanted to try a new recipe of Homemade Strawberry-Watermelon Rum. 




The recipe is from "DIY Edibles."   The bottled strawberry-watermelon rum is used for martini making.  Of course we had to test taste a bottle before possible gifting.  The watermelon flavor is a bit stronger than the strawberry, and very sweet.  If you like sweet.  It's different, that's for sure.  

It was too sweet for us.  We test tasted this a few times, at different occasions, and felt it was just not the right item to gift.  The mixing of the martini took ingredients that we felt made giving this too complicated for recipients, and the final martini was way too sweet. we felt.

Pretty to gift, and it will last up to a year if kept in a dark cool area. If super sugary is your preferred beverage.

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
What a wonderful gift, I am sure the lucky recipients will love it.
Rain said…
I remember the martini "craze" in the 90's, at least in Montreal. Martini bars opened up everywhere. There were lots of "girlie" martinis, sweet like that, I never really liked them. I was more a gin and olive gal lol! :)
Rain, we went to a martini bar on our favorite island, and they charged $9.00 a martini. The next year the bar had new owners and a new name. We are not really martini people, especially Hubby, but I wanted to try something new.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart