Skip to main content

Rain arrived....

Humidity arrived.  Then rain arrived, which we needed. But we got too much.  I think we may get more rain today.

I took advantage of being indoors, and started a crock pot of  black beans with onion and garlic.  We use this for snacking, adding to a breakfast burrito, etc.  Once they are cooked, I mash them.  I have cut this recipe in half now.



Cucumbers continue to roll in. Despite some getting mold on at the wet end of the garden.

Using only the best ingredients.....


...I canned this season's first batch of sweet pickle relish. In half-pints, due to the shrinking family.   A happy moment for us.  The girls don't like the chopping part, but they sure do eat it a lot (homemade tartar sauce, slaw, pasta dishes, tuna salad, homemade thousand island dressing etc.)  We use it a lot and had very small cucumber harvest last year.  I had Graduate Daughter fill and carry the canner pot for me.

Oh, my kitchen tables are a mess.  Zucchini, yellow squash, a few lingering smaller cucumbers, walnuts (yes they are not all cracked yet)....it's "messy house" time of year if you garden/can/freeze etc.  The crocky's never seem to be back where they belong.  I use them often this time of year.

And for those burritos, I mixed up some einkorn dough...

 ...which you have to have a lot of patience with to roll out and get into your pan...


... one dozen einkorn flour tortillas made.  Mixing and rolling the balls is the easy part.  Rolling it between parchment paper, and getting it off without tearing it is the hard part.  Still.  We prefer the better grain for these.  


I should have taken a picture of Hubby's burrito.  I picked the only 4 ripe pear heirloom tomatoes, and he topped his burrito with black beans, scrambled eggs, jalapeno, and those yummy tomatoes.

When Hubby and I deep cleaned the bedroom, wiping down all the woodwork, I put everything from the dresser into a basket.  We've enjoying seeing it so clean (two lamps and one long doily), so I'll be emptying that basket, but nothing will go back on the dresser.  Photos will be placed on shelves elsewhere, and our first "piece of the rock" we brought home from the island will go into the flower bed.  It's freeing to see it so clean, and a big job completed.  I still need to clean ceiling fans and light fixtures, but that's for another day. 

I called my doctor.  The office is closed Thursday and Friday.  I didn't want to mess with going to Urgent care.  So.  We wait.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
Here I am again...trying to 'catch up' with all you've been up to! It's motivating to read your posts and glad someone is having some garden produce....even with my chicken wire the deer reach over and eat my pitiful amounts....oh well....maybe someday I will be in a position to garden again. Meanwhile, I will follow your cleaning regimen! You go girl but carefully!
Mama Pea said…
I find having all those extra pieces of equipment out and ready during harvest season does sure make for a messy looking kitchen. But with just the two of us and a big kitchen table (and a lot of counter space, but never enough!), we can usually find a place to sit and eat. When we have time to sit and eat! Don't cha just love this time of year because of the great feeling of putting by so much wonderful food for the coming year?
Rain said…
Hi Kristina! I'm sorry it's come to you having to see a doctor. I'm like you, I refuse to go to the emergency unless I just can't handle the pain anymore...I hope you get to see your doc soon. Your tortillas look great!
Sam I Am, we lost tomato plants to rabbits and other plants to too much rain. Thankfully, we are getting something from it.
Mama Pea, I do feel pretty proud, but I wish the kids would drop their lousy attitude about the work involved. Some day...some day...
Thanks Rain. There is only one tortilla left. They go fast, and Vet Tech Daughter showed up at dinner.
RB said…
Continuing in prayer for you.
Amazing to see the work you get done despite the shoulder pain which I know so well.
Consider what you'd do if one of your children were injured like this. Then do it for yourself. k
With love.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart