Skip to main content

Kitchen Weekend ~ More New Recipes (Can you stand it?)

The weekend was pretty prosperous.  Hubby needs a motorcycle helmet, so he offered to tote the younger two around for their needs (one is attending prom next month), while I stayed home.


Although two kiddos were out, two were also in.  That gave me more dog walkers, so I stocked up on homemade condensed cheddar soup.  Two more "cans" made it to the freezer.



I also tried a new recipe I've been wanting to try for a while now - Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing.  It's the same as the packet, only homemade and no additives.


I am excited to keep this recipe around.  It felt good to use my homemade garlic, onion and cayenne powders, along with homemade onion flakes.  I had to buy dill though.  I am out until next harvest.  I also had to use store bought salt, sugar, pepper and dry buttermilk.  

Here is the link to the site I follow:  Simply Scratch



(Before the chocolate/coconut oil is drizzled)

Here is second new recipe - Maple Almond Fudge.  It said to use a 9 x 9 pan, and it spreads out pretty thin.  Not like a real fudge.  However, it includes healthy ingredients, so I wanted to try it.  


(Drizzled and spread around using a toothpick)



I would love to keep some in the freezer for hot summer work days.  If you google for the recipe, several versions will come up.  I used organic almond butter, organic coconut virgin oil, pure maple syrup, and topped with non-gmo melted chocolate bits and a bit of coconut oil.  You freeze it and keep it in the freezer. This recipe won blue ribbons with my family.  One bite is all it took.  I kind of think of the taste of a peanut butter chocolate candy, but no peanut butter.  The only downside, is that organic/non-gmo almond butter is not inexpensive.  

I have one more new recipe to share. There are several recipes online, but we used a cookbook recipe I had at home (hand-me-down cookbook).

First, peel and dice butternut squash (about 2 cups) into small bite sized pieces.  Heat a pan on medium heat with olive oil and cook for a few minutes.  I cooked mine longer to ensure they would be soft by the time I served.

Add a finely diced shallot, and cook a few more minutes.  Add 1/2 teaspoon organic paprika, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. dried thyme (I added more), 1/4 tsp. black pepper, and 1 cup non-gmo arborio rice.  


Toss to coat.

(Before the broth was completely soaked into the rice).

Turn heat to low and add 1/4 cup dry white wine.  Stir and cook until wine evaporates.   Increase heat to medium, and pour in 1/2 cup vegetable broth.  When broth is absorbed into the rice, continue to add 1/2 cup broth at a time, until the rice is creamy and tender.  I used 4 cups (Imagine brand, Vegetarian no-chicken broth).  You can use vegetable broth most likely. It's what I had in the pantry.

Top with Parmesan or Romano cheese when served.  We skipped the cheese and there was not a drop of this leftover.  I'll be making it again, and adding some type of greens to it.  Maybe dandelion or spinach.   

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Gotta try the ranch dressing recipe. I, too, love the stuff but won't buy the packets or even bottles of it at our co-op. Thanks for sharing it.
Mama Pea, I make my own Thousand Island and Caesar too. Very good.
Dressing I mean (not the packet like Ranch)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart