Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, April 11, 2016

Kitchen Weekend ~ More New Recipes (Can you stand it?)

The weekend was pretty prosperous.  Hubby needs a motorcycle helmet, so he offered to tote the younger two around for their needs (one is attending prom next month), while I stayed home.


Although two kiddos were out, two were also in.  That gave me more dog walkers, so I stocked up on homemade condensed cheddar soup.  Two more "cans" made it to the freezer.



I also tried a new recipe I've been wanting to try for a while now - Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing.  It's the same as the packet, only homemade and no additives.


I am excited to keep this recipe around.  It felt good to use my homemade garlic, onion and cayenne powders, along with homemade onion flakes.  I had to buy dill though.  I am out until next harvest.  I also had to use store bought salt, sugar, pepper and dry buttermilk.  

Here is the link to the site I follow:  Simply Scratch



(Before the chocolate/coconut oil is drizzled)

Here is second new recipe - Maple Almond Fudge.  It said to use a 9 x 9 pan, and it spreads out pretty thin.  Not like a real fudge.  However, it includes healthy ingredients, so I wanted to try it.  


(Drizzled and spread around using a toothpick)



I would love to keep some in the freezer for hot summer work days.  If you google for the recipe, several versions will come up.  I used organic almond butter, organic coconut virgin oil, pure maple syrup, and topped with non-gmo melted chocolate bits and a bit of coconut oil.  You freeze it and keep it in the freezer. This recipe won blue ribbons with my family.  One bite is all it took.  I kind of think of the taste of a peanut butter chocolate candy, but no peanut butter.  The only downside, is that organic/non-gmo almond butter is not inexpensive.  

I have one more new recipe to share. There are several recipes online, but we used a cookbook recipe I had at home (hand-me-down cookbook).

First, peel and dice butternut squash (about 2 cups) into small bite sized pieces.  Heat a pan on medium heat with olive oil and cook for a few minutes.  I cooked mine longer to ensure they would be soft by the time I served.

Add a finely diced shallot, and cook a few more minutes.  Add 1/2 teaspoon organic paprika, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. dried thyme (I added more), 1/4 tsp. black pepper, and 1 cup non-gmo arborio rice.  


Toss to coat.

(Before the broth was completely soaked into the rice).

Turn heat to low and add 1/4 cup dry white wine.  Stir and cook until wine evaporates.   Increase heat to medium, and pour in 1/2 cup vegetable broth.  When broth is absorbed into the rice, continue to add 1/2 cup broth at a time, until the rice is creamy and tender.  I used 4 cups (Imagine brand, Vegetarian no-chicken broth).  You can use vegetable broth most likely. It's what I had in the pantry.

Top with Parmesan or Romano cheese when served.  We skipped the cheese and there was not a drop of this leftover.  I'll be making it again, and adding some type of greens to it.  Maybe dandelion or spinach.   

3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Gotta try the ranch dressing recipe. I, too, love the stuff but won't buy the packets or even bottles of it at our co-op. Thanks for sharing it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I make my own Thousand Island and Caesar too. Very good.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Dressing I mean (not the packet like Ranch)