Skip to main content

Naughty Barn Cat

We have three barn cats.  One is been getting on my nerves lately.  I keep finding her sitting in my thyme, flattening it, and preventing new spring growth.  Grr.


I have since "skewered" the thyme, and after this rain I can finally weed it.  It looks terrible.


That's green onion on the left, and doing very well, but not the thyme.  Although I had a few solar lights in the herb garden, she continued to squeeze into it.  You can see where Aurora has been nesting so to speak.  I put wooden skewers all through it, so she can't lay down in it.  I hope it works and the thyme prospers.  I need to restock this spring.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Naughty barn cat, indeed! Wonder what it is about the thyme that is so enticing?
Mama Pea, I have no idea why she's doing it. I have all my mints in pots, and do not even have catnip nearby. I think I will plant some just for her, and to keep her out of the herbs.
RB said…
One of ours use to "nest" in my chives. I finally got a cheap metal border fence at Dollar General, took it apart into 2 piece segments, and criss-crossed it across the window boxes, and that fixed it.
Cats are gonna be cats, generally choosing to find the most inconvenient, and of course, least desirable to humans places to nap.
Hope everyone's having a great weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><
Thanks for that tip RB, she seems to nap where ever she wants lately.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart