Skip to main content

Random Tidbits


Just before the rain arrived, I managed to set the last two rain barrels in place, get laundry off the line and dinner on the table.  I finally got around to washing a few aprons and my pastry cloth.


I took to the kitchen again.  I have decided to purge all my miss-matched glassware and pass them onto my oldest daughter.  That gave me more kitchen space for items I use often during canning season.


I picked my first spearmint this spring, and made a pitcher of organic green tea (with spearmint).  I love it that way.  My one Grandma made it with spearmint and I have always loved it.

I noticed a rain barrel was not full, so up on the roof went a helper of mine, and gutters were cleared of debris.  One more spring job completed.


I adapted a "sweet and spicy" recipe that uses honey, sesame oil, cayenne, and cumin.  

It came from this book:


The taste is nothing "fantastic" but healthy and better than plain walnuts (for snacking).  I really didn't taste the "sweet" in them.  They are definitely "spicy."

Walnuts are put in boiling water, honey, a few teaspoons of oil and salt.  They are simmered, drained and dried.  Then tossed in the spices and roasted.  They'll last a week, so I divided them up for Hubby to take some to work.  In all honesty, I like the flavor of the "Spiced Nuts" recipe better. I may try that recipe, only using walnuts, almonds and maybe one other healthy nut.

Lately, I've been enjoying a little walnut butter spread onto a beet chip.  

Today's agenda is iffy.  It is a bit chilly, and may be too wet to weed the herb garden.  I see my chives have flowers forming already and the rosemary plant I accidently left out there, is turning green (they typically won't winter over). 



  



Comments

Mama Pea said…
I've never managed to find a green tea that I like at all so I'll have to try putting some fresh mint in it (maybe the iced will be more tolerable?) this summer. Thanks for the idea.
Mama Pea, I just went to the store for more teabags and could not find the organic brand I buy. They now only sell one, so I'll be trying it next.
Sam I Am...... said…
I washed rugs today but it's supposed to rain so I'll wait until tomorrow to hang. I like the idea of spiced walnuts for a healthy snack. Di I tell you I rigged up a clothesline away from the tick infested cedars? I'm so happy to be hanging outside again but it's stretched so far that it's defying the laws of physics and I have to support it in 2 places and then the supports fall because the wind changes direction...I am no engineer that's for sure! LOL! I hope you don't get severe weather.
Thanks Sam I Am. We are getting more rain again. I had to use supports on a clothesline at a previous house. The wind always knocked them over.
RB said…
Sounds like someone's been very busy. lol
Prayers everyone has a safe happy weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><
Thanks RB! I hope you have a nice weekend too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart