Skip to main content

Dandelion Bread

Sunday my morning started in muck books, then my afternoon in biker boots, then to the evening with my apron, then back to biker boots, and lastly in muck boots.  We never made it to the garden, ha ha!  It's still too wet.  I checked it early, while Hubby and Son made a trip to recycling, just to be sure we stayed on track for the day.

My morning started with this.

Hubby was teaching Son how to use the riding mower, and I went running frantically to ask them to stop, and to wait.

Hubby helped.  Although reluctantly, as he was eager to take me on my first motorcycle ride.


I needed enough for 2 cups of yellow dandelion petals, so we picked some.

Note on the dandelions:  Recipe states to rinse then pull the petals off.  Once they get wet, they are horrible to get off the flower heads.  I put them all in my salad spinner after rinsing to remove as much water as I could.
 

Mmm!  I made two loaves of dandelion bread. The recipe is here (Food Storage and Survival).  I think my bread is a bit more yellow due to the yolks of our organic eggs here.  Not sure, but it looks brighter than the photo on the recipe.

It's a dense, moist, heavy bread.  Good to slather on some butter, honey or whatnot.  I'll admit, it requires some work removing those petals, but I had a helper in the kitchen this time.  The loaves are not real tall, but have a good flavor.  I can't really give you a sense of the flavor, but it's good.  I got my dandelions just in time today.  

I picked a bit too many dandelions, so the extras went into the freezer.  I'll most likely use the flowers for tea making. 

A small funny...

As we were picking the dandelions, I said to Hubby, "did you know the stems of dandelions can used and eaten in place of noodles?"  He responded, "only you."  Which I responded, "we have oodles of noodles here on the homestead."  We both laughed.  I'm pretty sure I made some grammatical errors in that last paragraph but I must scoot and get my day started.  

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Oodles of noodles is better than gluts of nuts! ;o} (Although at the prices of nuts today, if the "nuts" weren't the human kind that might be very profitable!
Mama Pea you always make me laugh!
Sam I Am...... said…
What a pretty bread...yellow is my favorite color! LOL!
Sam I Am, by the looks of the yard, I'll be making it again.
HIBISCUS HOUSE said…
Love it! You have given me a use for the fields of these we have out here!
Hibiscus House, my family loved the bread. As soon as the rain leaves us again, I want to make it again.
Unknown said…
Late to the party for sure but I saw your comment about the lack of brightness in your photo on the recipe. I used a simple photo correction to remove a little blue, lighten it up just a touch overall then increased the saturation slightly.

Since all of your content is protected I can't post my version for you to see.
Sandi said…
"...did you know the stems of dandelions can used and eaten in place of noodles?"

Good to know!
Sandi, yes, there are recipes in my dandelion cookbook for those too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart