Skip to main content

Moving Day ~ Grilling Out

It was bound to happen. 

Especially since the barn will be torn down (and hopefully soon).  We have a barn salvage company looking at it now.


It was moving day for Orion.  He's too close to the big barn, and he's eaten all his grass in that area.  See all those tall weeds in the back?  That is where we moved his shed.  He was so happy to have more to eat, I had a terrible time getting him to allow me to re-stake him.  I was laughing, because he was in heaven with all that goodness to eat.  He's not a little goat either.  He was acting like a kid in a candy store.


A retake of the event:

"See that strap in the hole of the front?" Hubby asked.

"Yeah."

"Go inside his shed and pull it through, and under the back."

So I go in the stinky thing and make my way back out.

"Now take that and hook it there," he instructs.

This is how it went.  When I finally figured out that he was giving me the orders, so he can stay in the skid loader, out of the rain.  Sneaky, sneaky!




Almost all of my rose bushes got a good load of compost.  Hubby used the skid loader to deliver a bunch to the garden too.  However, the rain kept us from tilling it in, and planting.
 

While Hubby had the borrowed skid loader, he pushed this mess into one pile, so it's not strewn about.  Looks like we'll have plenty of work this summer. 

Rain came and went throughout the remainder of the day.  By 2pm, I had logged over 10,000 steps in outdoor work alone.

Hubby, instead of clothes, put on jammies after his 3pm shower.  He and I were that exhausted, although a good exhausted.  He wanted to grill out and hang out on the porch.

He did just that too.


He made jalapeno/bacon/blue cheese burgers with homemade Thousand Island dressing, and a mix of veggies.  


Although the freezer is dwindling, we still had garden cauliflower, asparagus, parsley and green onions added to it.

Our 15 year-old is now interested in the culinary arts, so she learned to make the homemade dressing last night, as well as a batch of homemade meatballs for the freezer.  She's also very willing to help plant in the garden (but she's the one with the sun allergy too).  She'll just have to help in small bits of time. 

Today is Hubby's birthday, so I told him he needs the day off.  Rain is due again today  - 100% chance.  I'm not sure what special meal we'll have yet.  He mentioned wanting fish tacos or tacos, but we'll see.  I'm not running on all engines today.  I woke up to Hubby pushing my arm around 4am-ish.  He said I was snoring.  Well, duh.  I was exhausted.  Then when I finally fell asleep, his sister called at 5:25am to wish him Happy Birthday.  That woke me up again.  I was up after that.  My advice?  Don't call someone at the crack of dawn to wish them a Happy Birthday.

Maybe I can teach our culinary arts daughter to bake a cake?  I'm sure she got more sleep than me, ha ha!
 


Comments

Liz said…
Oh the work you can get done with a borrowed piece of equipment! That burger looks great! Happy Birthday to your hubby! Hope you guys have a great day celebrating!
Amy Dingmann said…
Burgers look delicious! And wasn't that sneaky of him to give orders while he sat in the skid? Sneaky guy...I think they take a class on that in high school or something. ;)
Thanks Liz. We hope to get more accomplished after this rain stops. Not sure what we'll do, but Hubby would be happy with reading books on the porch today, ha ha!
Amy, Hubby is quite the grill man, and gets pretty good with his burgers. He was very sneaking with the rain falling on me, ha ha!
Sam I Am...... said…
Happy Birthday to your hubby! And yes it should be some kind of tacos as it is Cinco De Mayo! LOL!
Sam I am, we were just talking about that. Maybe he can celebrate with a margarita too. The kids want non-alcoholic margaritas.
Susan said…
What a great day to have a birthday! Calling before 6A with birthday wishes? What was she thinking!?! Hope you can catch some down time today - and how nice that your daughter is interested in cooking. That can only be a good thing!
Well happy birthday to your hubby... I hope he has a good day,
gets cake, and you get to catch up on your sleep!
Susan, I'm glad one of the kids is interested, because she can help prepare dinner while I'm canning and whatnot.
Thanks Patricia, I think he had a good birthday.
RB said…
Sounds like a very busy day.

While keeping a good eye on the storm system brewing off the Eastern Seaboard, we went and had two new tires put on the newer car. Picked up some thyme and sage seeds. Picked up some thyme and sage plants that we'll plant in a bed with the seeds strewn. Picked up tomato plants - A Grape, a Queen Johnson and a Roma, and also some red, varigated and green leaf lettuce seeds. Luckily we have a long growing season here, and we should get results from them this year.

Hope everyone's having a great week.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, your garden goodies sound wonderful.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart