Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Mulberries


It was a race against the rain, but I had a pretty successful day.  I did have to bring in the laundry, because the rain arrived a noon and my laundry was not dry.

I got the watermelon mounds weeded, and a tiny bit of the strawberries.  The peas are finally on the fence, but not ready to pick just yet.  Maybe tomorrow.







My daisies are blooming, along with my daylillies now.

I picked a handful of strawberries and one kiddo made a yogurt smoothie with them.  While out checking the wild black raspberries, I was excited to pick some ripe mulberries that  the birds had not eaten.

I hurried them inside and into a freezer bag.  I'll just have to keep adding them (and hope to get enough) until I can make a batch of jam. I have never been able to make mulberry jam. 

I weed wacked until the battery died, leaving a lot left to do yet.

I got my bathroom, for the most part, cleaned.  I left myself sticky notes on the mirror for reminders for the remainder of the work.

The younger girls tackled the dishes (if you can call it doing dishes), while my oldest (oldest still at home) daughter completely cleaned out and organized a large kitchen drawer.  I vacuumed, swept, and put up more sticky note reminders.

Finished my 3 mile walk and finally showered.  Phew!  


At 4pm, I put the laundry back out (I know, a lot of work, but I did get more exercise), including some towels.  Made dinner and relaxed with some crocheting.  That about sums up my day. 

How was your day?




5 comments:

Kelly said...

My day is still going......I'm just taking a quick break and then I need to clean the guinea pig cage and shower :/ Hope I can crochet a little when I'm done, but I will probably fall asleep, lol!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Whoa!
You were busy today.
I had a chuckle at the laundry rotation. I've had days like that...you get it out, it's almost dry and you have to rush to bring it in...only to have the next load ready to hang as soon as the clouds break. It does make for a workout too.
Reading your list made me tired!
Pat

Liz said...

I hate when rain ruins drying laundry! We have 2 big mulberry trees at the farm. They are loaded this year! But the I am the only one who likes mulberry jam so I left them for the birds.

RB said...

We had mulberries at the house that we lived at in Raleigh. How I've missed them since we moved to the country! I sat under those trees for hours picking and eating, and eating and picking, until my mouth, lips and tongue were bright bright blue. To harvest large quantities, we use to put blue tarps out underneath the trees and bang on the branches. You'd get hundreds of them right quick, just by sweeping what's on the tarp up into a dust pan and then into a bucket.
Bro Tom says he has two started in small pots out back, so maybe some day I'll be able to enjoy them again. I certainly pray so.
Have you ever had them?
God bless.
RB
<><
-----

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Yes, we had mulberry trees in our yard while growing up in the city.