Skip to main content

Rhubarb BBQ Sauce


Once again Eating Well magazine provided a recipe that begged me to try.  My rhubarb is not ready to harvest this year, and I finally found some to buy.


I made pork tenderloin (organic), but decided to make it in a pulled pork version vs. baked (as the recipe instructed).  The sauce can be prepared ahead of time and frozen for future meals. 




Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
(from Eating Well Magazine)
*adapted with organic, homegrown, homemade ingredients


1 Tbsp. Olive
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced rhubarb, fresh or frozen (thawed)
1/4 cup ketchup (I use home canned)
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 Tbsp cider vinegar (Bragg's, organic/nongmo)
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper


Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add rhubarb, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the onion and rhubarb are soft, about 10 minutes.

Note:  I do buy Worcestershire sauce.  It takes a ba-zillion ingredients to make it from scratch. 




Here is a sneak peek at some handiwork I'm working on.  That is Aurora all stretched out on the bench.  She is the one cat that we often mistake for a raccoon.  Like the other day when Daughter went to start up the mower.  I heard her scream, then start laughing.  Aurora had been sitting in the mower seat.  Ha ha ha!  I'll share more on the handiwork later.

I guess I am not driving chickens to butcher today.  The Hubs must have forgot.  He not only drove his truck to work, but all the coolers are in the back.  No vehicle, no coolers.  Hmm. His work is one hour from home, and the butchery is one hour from home in another direction.  No time to drive up and trade vehicles either.  Come to think of it, I don't even have the butchery's phone number.  Hubby does.  I best give him a ring-a-ding.  He most likely hasn't figured it out yet.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Now THAT is an interesting recipe! Our rhubarb (the only thing ready to eat in the garden thus far!) is in full glory so I have plenty to use. Thanks for sharing.
Mama Pea, the BBQ sauce was very good. I made a side of quinoa and put the pulled pork over that, and topped with the sauce. Delicious!
Sam I Am...... said…
Awesome recipe utilizing rhubarb because when you have it you have lots usually and are always looking for recipes for it.
To funny about the cat on the mower seat. She does look like a raccoon...is she one of those Maine Coon cats they talk about?
Your crochet looks interesting.
Have a great day!
Mama Pea said…
What a yummy sounding menu! Using the quinoa or millet (!) appeals to me.
Sam I am, Aurora is a long haired calico. She is what we call the "velcro" cat. She holds onto us with her claws when held.
Debby Flowers said…
Hi, I have never commented on your blog before, but do enjoy it very much. Going to have to try the Rhubarb BBQ... I've been thinking about Rhubarb Sweet & Sour Sauce actually. But what I wanted to say is that we have your cat Aurora's twin here in MN... honestly it's uncanny the resemblance. And Roye spends a lot of time writhing on her back too! She's really hard to photograph decently...
Debby, thanks for visiting and writing a comment. Aurora is very hard to photograph, ha ha! She so full of cat fur.
Kev Alviti said…
This looks good! I must try it!
Kev, thanks for stopping by. I make this using my home canned ketchup, but if you don't have access to tomatoes nor canning, you could locate organic ketchup in stores as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart