Skip to main content

From the Homesteading Journal . . .



. . .May 30, 2014, picked our first strawberry this season




. . .June1, 2014, cut oregano, and thyme to dry



. . .June 2, 2014, cut rosemary to dry, Planted cilantro, sweet basil, holy basil, chickweed, valerian and parsley seeds (all organic, nongmo seeds), and expecting rain.  I received some seeds for Garden Huckleberry.  Although they should be started from seed indoors, I simply planted them along a tree line, and if they grow they grow.  If not, no big deal.  If it does, I can make jam, jelly and pies with them.





Comments

EMMA said…
Love your drying rack! My oregano and mint have gone crazy but my rosemary seems to be taking a nap!
I've let my chives flower this year as I want to make chive vinegar.
Your strawberries are much further along than ours. Saw a recipe yesterday for freezer jam, never heard of this before, do you make it? seems much quicker that boiled jam but will take up valuable freezer space.
Emma, I have not made freezer jam yet. I have plans to buy a deep freezer, but things are delaying that this year.
Michelle said…
Got a lot of crops planted. The only thing we have to harvest right now is strawberries.
Cris said…
A friend of mine grows garden huckleberries, they seem to grow a lot like ground cherries--meaning, they REALLY want to grow! :-) You should have good luck with direct sowing them. The trick will be to not have too many! Ha!
Liz said…
I wanted to start a strawberry patch this year, never happened. Great place to dry herbs!
It all sounds fantastic! And how wonderful is that first strawberry! Happy drying friend! Nicole xoxo
Sandra said…
Strawberry picking season will be here soon!

RB said…
As far as herbage goes, we love parsley and thyme the most, but I also grow purple basil, a lot for the color, but also for tomato dishes. However, I have the hardest time growing thyme. Are there any secrets to growing it, both indoors and out, that I may be missing?
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I just grow my thyme outside, but it's in a sunny garden, and I do have to keep it watered in hot weather. I don't really do anything other than that. But it could be the area you live in, not sure.
Mama Pea said…
Your strawberries are about a month ahead of ours. I just noticed the very first blossom on ours a couple of days ago. Can hardly wait for that luscious, fresh fruit!
RB said…
Thanks Kristina. I'll try it again. I live in the sandhills of NC, plenty of sun here/sandy soil. Last year out of all the thyme seeds I planted, I got one tiny plant. As soon as I brought it indoors, it started to fail. Can it not be brought indoors?
Thanks again for the info.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I am pretty sure you can grow it indoors too. I just dry enough over summer that I haven't brought some in over winter. But fresh thyme on hand sounds good too. I may have to try it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart