Skip to main content

Easy Steel Cut Oats ~ Go Kart Repairs ~ Chicken Alfredo


Sharing another steel cut oat recipe. This smells so good when it's cooking.  Sorry for the bad photo, it was not the best time of day to take one indoors.


Easy Steel-Cut Oats
4 cups milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups steel-cut oats
2 cups apple, chopped
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Coat the inside of a 3-4 qt. crock pot with non-sick spray (or lightly coat with olive oil. Combine all ingredients in the crock pot.  Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until done.   Be careful to not over cook.  You can also cook this overnight on warm for 7-8 hours.  I tried it on low at night and low just cooks it a bit too quickly.  Refrigerate any leftovers.  Reheats nicely.

I use our goat's milk when we have it, and organic ingredients.  Delicious!  If you don't like steel cut oats, you can also make this with old-fashioned oats.  I simply chop 2 organic apples (I don't measure).



After a day of yard and garden work, the girls got the go kart out for a spin.  Once around the path, and they discovered a wheel problem.  It's not been used since the "send off" party for our oldest daughter, and may have gotten worked a bit too hard.  It's under repairs, so the girls were bummed.  Hubby was too tired to work all night on it, and he's still trying to find time to replace the brakes on my car.

Anyway, we discovered a cap to one wheel missing. We found it by the chicken barn. Hubby found the gas pedal cover out by the elderberry (newly planted ones) trees. 
 

It looks like a welding job will be needed too.  I guess the girls will have to come up with some other type of fun until it's up and running again.  

I did challenge the kids to come up with some type of activity that did not involve electronics.  Two rode bicycles.  I think they will be getting out the badmitten set this week too.  That was always an "after dinner" family activity for us. We really need to do that again. 

It's been three days and no letters from our son in military training.  However, the last letter we got from Daughter(20), said she was the only girl to pass the obstacle course.  They are both pushing themselves onward.

Last night I made Diabetic Living Magazine's recipe for Chicken Alfredo.  This was delicious.  I've made a pasta dish with zucchini, and walnuts, but this one used organic sour cream and our goat's milk (and parmesan cheese) for the sauce.  Instead of linguine, I bought organic spinach fettuccine noodles.  I can make my own linguine noodles, I just didn't have any left in the freezer last night.  I also simply mixed it all together.  I did have to buy organic zucchini (patiently waiting for the garden bounty).  This recipe would be delicious with no chicken, and more veggies too.

As for the guy building the campground, I had to listen to his bulldozer and chainsaw the entire day (then their voice all night, and a dog barking).  I'm writing a letter to the township this weekend.  It's our last straw.  Say a prayer. 


Comments

Mama Pea said…
What yummy looking recipes! I wish my hubby liked pasta as much as I do. (I could eat it every day, but then I'm a carbo type . . . and he's a protein type so I guess our preferences are understandable.)

Keeping our fingers crossed that your lovely homestead will be saved from the possible campground being planned. Saying a prayer, too.
Carolyn said…
That pasta dish looks De-lish!

Hope you get somewhere with the township.
Unknown said…
Good luck with your wacko neighbor! Did he ever get permits, etc.?
Nancy, no he did not get any permits. He's out there with 4 wheelers again, but I think someone else called the Sheriff for loud music.
RB said…
I love regular rolled oats, have all my life. Our Dad made the best (but it wasn't too healthy with the butter, brown sugar and cream [or half&half] that he loved adding to it I'm sure, yet I still make it that way myself. However I've been curious lately about the steel cut oats because several chefs/cooks on the Food Network have touted its flavors, textures and health benefits recently. I'm wondering how close in tasting it is to the old fashioned rolled oats, and if it's more difficult to make, or less so.
Praying for God to touch the heart of your neighbor with compassion and understanding, so he somehow gets to learn the hassles he's bringing upon others with his selfish foolishness.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart