Skip to main content

Tidbits and Homemade Ricotta


We had a nice visit from my older brother yesterday.  I gifted him 1 dozen fresh eggs to take home and fed him some lunch.  

He brought us boxes from my sister-in-law (his wife).  One full of cloth napkins and placemats, one of ceramic cats and one of ceramic dogs.  Oh, and some bottles of nail polish.


I absolutely loved these antique rose napkins.  Snag!  Those were mine.  The kids and I went through them, saving some for their hope chests too.  Anything left will be used in the camper.  The kids went nuts with the dogs and cats, running upstairs and chattering on, and setting them in place in their room.


I'm such a ditz.  I just realized I knew he was coming a few days prior, and I should have had a batch of homemade granola made for him.  I guess my brain was on the fritz.  I better do a check on those ingredients for the future.

It was a catch-up work day for us later in the day.  We were surprised with rain early morning, so later Hubby mowed, I weeded a bit of a flower bed, and cleaned the chicken coop.  I also mixed up a small batch of homemade dishwasher detergent.

House cleaning was left up to our 14 year-old, who was preparing for her birthday party today.





Sharing the link for my post on this for the recipe.  It's an old photo too, but you can see it draining in the refrigerator.  I get about 3 1/2 to 4 cups yield.

Post Link:  Homemade Ricotta

Most of Sunday was a bit quiet.  It was a bit hot, but we got lots of outdoor work caught up.  The weeds have multiplied.  I hope to catch back up on reading blogs today.  I've been slacking in that area.


Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
Oh do I love those rose materials! I, just recently, have started loving the old florals and roses especially even china and ceramics which I never was too fond of. My country primitive days are gone and is being replaced by 30's and 40's type decor and style with the U.K. and Irish influence thrown in for good measure! LOL!
I haven't started making my own cheese yet but it's on my list and I have a cheese making kit so I need to do that.
We've had more rain here than I ever remember but I'm glad...I'd rather have that then "fire danger". Stay hydrated and good for you all with working and weeding. Happy Birthday to the birthday girl!
RB said…
I love those napkins. First, because my first name is Rose, but mostly because they remind me of a tablecloth our mother had that we used on the dinner table on major holidays.

I've seen someone make some beautiful throw pillows out of old cloth napkins, just by sewing two, wrong side together along three sides, turning them right side out, stuffing a pillow form in them, and then sewing the fourth side up. They were gorgeous, and it's a great way to use up miss matched napkins, especially if they're pretty and you don't want to part with them otherwise.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, thank you for that tip. That is an excellent idea.
Susan said…
I love those linens! I have a real love for 'vintage' table linens and buy them whenever I can. I make ricotta chees at least once a week - you can use it so many ways!
RB said…
Sure Kristina!
I've even see some with fringe and other trims along the edges and some with large tassels at the four corners.
They really do turn out pretty.
I bet you could do the same thing with most any pretty yet strong piece of cloth - maybe a tablecloth or bedspread with a bad spot you can cut around to use the good spots.
I've seen some very pretty pillows made from old chenille bedspreads that way for little girls' rooms.
And if the fabric is a bit thin, you could line it simply by sewing a piece of a plain old white sheet to the back of the thin piece to strengthen it and firm it up.
Have you ever thought of selling your homemade items on Etsy?
God bless.
RB
<><
Susan, I love vintage tablecloths and napkins.

RB, I have not sold on Etsy. I'm not sure I'd have enough time to keep up with it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart