Skip to main content

Cooking Up Cucumbers


We've been experimenting with new cucumber recipes, and tried this cold pasta salad.  It's great with onion or with radishes.


Cucumber and Bow-Tie Pasta in Sour Cream-Chive Dressing
3/4 cup nonfat  organic sour cream
1/4 cup chopped organic chives
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3 cups cooked bow-tie pasta
3 cups sliced organic cucumbers, quartered
1/4 cup sliced organic radishes 

Dressing:  In medium bowl, combine sour cream, chives, vinegar, sugar and pepper; stir to mix well.

In a large serving bowl, combine pasta with cucumbers.  Pour dressing over pasta mixture; gently toss until evenly coated.  Top with slices of radishes.  Refrigerate, covered, until well chilled.

Note:  We added chopped organic onion for more flavor.

I looked up the health benefits of cucumbers, and am amazed at how God created such wonderful foods for us.  And that we can grow them from a simple seed.


I made Cucumber - Mango Salsa. . .one reader suggested omitting the garlic and adding red bell pepper and red onion.  We did that and it was a big hit here with chips or on meats and fish.


I made Cucumber-Ginger Jelly. . .I couldn't wait for my library books to come in (for the recipe I forgot to write down), so I looked one up on the Internet.  They were more on the runny side in the first 24 hours, but after putting a jar in the refrigerator, it set up more.  I may seek ideas to use this as a syrup, and wait on those library books to come in.  It may very well be my new burner I used.  It has one less coil than the previous one, so I may have not boiled the sugar in it enough, prior to adding the pectin.  It's got good flavor anyway.

We made a cool cucumber face mask with yogurt and cucumber, and cooled our eyes with cold slices of cucumber.

The days have been very long this past week, and I finally spent time on the front porch.  The weather is cooler now.

Comments

Unknown said…
Nice idea with the pasta salad! I may try that. I wish it would cool down here, conssisten high 90's. Except for waiting for the garden to produce I'm ready for fall weather. 75 would be so NICE!
EMMA said…
Yummy! I like the sound of all that.
Candy C. said…
Neat ways to use up and eat more cucumbers! The pasta looks yummy, as does that salsa! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart