Skip to main content

Homemade Ricotta ~ We're Loving It!

Making cheese this year was one of my goals.  I am so thrilled I did.  We have been using our goat's milk ricotta cheese for many dishes lately - Lasagna, Chickpea Stuffed Shells.


Yesterday I baked us a Ricotta Frittata with spinach, onion, garlic, oregano, kohlrabi, farm fresh eggs and ricotta cheese.  Yum! Oh, and I threw in some organic Swiss chard (red stems removed).

Here is how I made this Frittata:
 
Saute one small onion with 2 cloves of garlic and one (trimmed, peeled and chopped) kohlrabi in olive oil.  Cook until the kohlrabi is softened. 


Next, scramble about 8-9 farm fresh eggs and set aside.


When the kohlrabi mix is ready, toss in any amount of spinach you prefer in your frittata.  Cook until it wilts.  You can also used frozen spinach - thaw, squeeze dry and use the amount you prefer.  


Place your kohlrabi mix into an oiled quiche pan.  Pour eggs over it.  With a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls of ricotta cheese into it.  I used about 2/3 cup.


Bake at 375°F until eggs are firm.  


You can use any herbs to spice this up too.  I used some dried oregano from my garden and salt and pepper. 


And of course, we couldn't resist baking up some Ricotta Italian cookies.  These were chowed down before frosting could ever be made.  There are very similar to a sour cream cookie we make at Christmas time. Yum!


So what's next on my list, besides trying new cheese recipe?  Getting a cow of course. Or two.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
You go girl! I have a cheesemaking kit but haven't done it yet or read the book. I can get goats milk in cans here. Maybe next time you could throw in a few recipes. I know...it takes lots more time to do that....when you have time soneday! Yeah right! LOL! IT is so hot here I can't get up early enough to beat the heat! Have a nice Sunday.
I added the Fritatta recipe. You can put many veggies in these. I just used what I had in the garden yesterday. Yum!
Carolyn said…
I've never made ricotta cookies and since we also seem to have a plethora of goat milk ricotta around here during milking season, I'm definitely going to give them a try. Thanks for the recipe :)
Winnie said…
This looks delicious and so healthy too!! I bet everyone loved it!
Candy C. said…
Ricotta Frittata!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart