Skip to main content

Queen Anne's Lace Galore

 
I canned 5 more 1/2 pints of Queen Anne's Lace Jelly.  If I had more jars, I'd can up the entire field of flowers.  We have it all over the property.


It's growing where my sunflowers won't grow.  Despite watering by hand, the lack of rain is a concern.


It's growing around the barns.

All around back, it's growing in the tall grass.  We have to rotate the goats on tie-outs due to the lack of grass in their pen.


It's even growing in the yard, where the grass is not.  The grass that we mow down is brown and crunches when you walk on it.  However, the Queen Anne's Lace is still growing and blooming.

Comments

caprejan said…
We are having the same brown crunch problem, ive never tied my goats, is it easy to do or do they go mad. I would really like to do it.
We use dog cables (not chain), and hook them to ground tie-outs that screw into the soil. We do this one goat at a time so they don't get tangled up. Or you can put them in separate places. We just make sure there is a bit of some shade and water.
Unknown said…
I saw a lot of that outside Boise. What's your view on jelly vs. jams? Some people don't like all the sugar, I just like the chunks of fruit myself.... :)
caprejan said…
Thank you Kristina, will give it a go, hope I dont go flying over the hillside on a rope.
Caprejan, you made me laugh. Goodness.

Nancy,
Some folks only buy jelly, and others ask all the time for jam. However, when I showed up with the jam, it was still hard to sell it at the Farmer's Market. I explained it's local fruit and local honey and they bought it. Some people don't like the sugar in jelly either, but I haven't canned jelly with honey yet.
Candy C. said…
It is a pretty wildflower and that's neat that it is useful too! I hope ya'll get some rain!
Sam I Am...... said…
You didn't have an email that I could reply to on my blog about the granny stripe but the pattern I use is from www.attic24.typepad.com she has great tutorials even for the novice and I've featured her website on mine. She's also on Ravely as Attic24 and she has a ton of patterns!
I love all the recipes and appreciate it! I'm still canning peaches today. Stay cool and I'll pray for rain for you and all us that need it so badly. I pray for all the farmers this year and the poor animals although our local critters around here have a big lake to go to but not sure about the food supply. Take care and have a great week! You'll love that granny stripe pattern as it is not boring but you can watch t.v. or talk and not get fowled up on it. I love patterns like that!

Popular posts from this blog

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

New Recipe Tried and other Bits

  I tried a new granola recipe and boy it's good.  First, it's a recipe from Mennonite Girls and Cook, and called "Backpack Snacks" online.  It calls for granola, so I used my homemade granola that we love.  Picture is the dry ingredients. Second, I pressed the final mixture into a 9 x 9, parchment lined baking dish instead of rolling it into balls.  The color of these photos are all different, because of the time of day, and how dark the house was from the thick Canadian smoke that was still outside at the time. These cut very nicely, and were very good, straight from the refrigerator.  It was hard to eat just one of them.  I will be making this again, and switching out the peanuts with walnuts, and switching out the raisins with dates.  Oh my!  The binder is honey and peanut butter. These are perfect for your hiking days, camping, your grandkids, or just for snacks when you want one. The rain arrived thank goodness, and washed the smoke in...