Skip to main content

Cabbage and Carrot Cobbler


 According to my kids, it "sounds nasty" and looks nasty.  However, it tastes pretty good.  I've been looking for healthier meals, and more with vegetables we don't eat enough of.

The photo isn't that great, but it was taken at night.  Our lighting isn't that great in the kitchen.

It's baked with a crust and the vegetables are topped on it.  The recipe did not say to cover the dish, and the onions got crispy and delicious.  The onions are what gives this dish flavor.

Cabbage and Carrot Cobbler
1 cup water
4 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup shredded carrots
2 onions sliced
1 1/4 cup plain White Wave dairyless (see notes)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp. low-sodium baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup soy or rice milk
2 Tbsp. olive oil


Preheat the oven to 375°F.


Place the water, cabbage, carrots and onion in a large pot.  Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.  Uncover and continue cooking an additional 5 minutes.  Stir in 1 cup of the Dairyless, salt and pepper.  Set aside.


Stir the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl.  Add the remaining 1/4 cup of Dairyless, milk and olive oil, and stir just to mix.  The batter will be quite thick.  Spread in a greased 9 x 13 inch backing dish.  Spread the cabbage mixture evently over the top and bake for 35 minutes.


(Source: Eat Right, Live Longer, by Neal D. Barnard)


Notes:  I did not have any plain yogurt (use in place of Dairyless), so I used sour cream.  It worked great.  Also, I used regular milk, but when we have it, I will make this with goat's milk. 

Comments

Candy C. said…
Interesting...do you drain the vegetables before stirring in the yogurt/sour cream? I imagine this is really tasty!
I don't drain the vegetables, but I did scoop them out of the pan with a slotted spoon. It tastes great re-heated the next day too.
That's an interesting recipe and I LOVE crispy, crunchy onions ;) :) I'll have to put this in my recipe file :) :) I wonder if you could use a non-dairy alternative like Almond milk or something like that? It would probably affect the consistency of the batter. I'm glad it turned out good :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Crochet Book Blanket ~ End of Year Update

I started a crochet book blanket at the beginning of this year (2025).  I crocheted a granny square for every book I finished, and crocheted the square with matching colors of the actual book.  The plan was to get back into reading, be motivated by the crocheted blanket, and use up scrap balls of yarn.  An overall fun, and positive project for myself.  The blanket is a join-as-you-crochet type of blanket, making it less intimidating to start, work on, and eventually finish.  How many books did I manage to read? 43 books, with one last book that will be finished on the 31st, will make that final year end number a whopping 44 books! Not the amount I had hoped for, but I really did not have a number goal in mind. It's not a bad number either.   In the past 5 years, I was lucky to even read 1 to 5 books within the years.  There were all sorts of reasons reading didn't happen. On the bright side, the blanket is coming along very nicely, and it is such ...