Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Taking a "chill" day, as the kids call it

With the yard work almost done, and the flower and herb beds almost trimmed, I can take a few hours to read through some Writer's Digest magazines. I found a few Writer magazines I had not even opened yet. Tsk! Tsk!

My hands smell like fresh rosemary as I type right now. I just put dried rosemary in spice jars, and put more up to dry. My sage was not very bountiful, but put some of that and dill up to dry today. Winter cooking will be blessed with my home grown herbs.

Speaking of herbs, I am searching for a wonderfully tasting dry Italian herb mix that I can make myself. This year I am cutting costs down by making everything I can, such as dry mixes. I won't be buying those packets anymore, nor will you ever see me buy dry onions - yuck!

I have plenty of library craft books and fiction books to occupy my few hours to myself. This morning started great with time alone on the front porch. With my Bible and a cup of coffee, I spent some time with God. It sure felt good.

Laundry is on the line and we have not used it all summer. It has been great! I am getting bed spreads, linens, and curtains washed and dried before the weather changes to the fall cool temperatures. I don't think I have to worry about that for a few months, but with school starting this month, the 17th for two of us, time will limited.

Eggplant Italian is in the crock-pot for dinner. I'm not sure what to do with the zucchini yet. I'll figure something out later. We still have some cucumbers and spread for snacking. I sure feels good to eat healthy.

I'm heading out to my favorite lawn chair. Send up a few prayers my "brain block" dissipates (that's what I call writer's block when the household atmosphere clouds my brain - ha ha!).

No comments: