Skip to main content

Give a Woman an Herb Garden ~ Herbal Syrup ~ Lemon Balm

The Good Lord gave me a dry day, so I went straight to the herb garden.  The vegetable garden was still too wet.  I know the weeds are bad, but sharing a photo anyway.  I have to re-set the natural stones around it every spring, but I really don't mind it.  The bed on the other side (top) of the sidewalk is a flower bed.  I still have sage in some of it.


I finally dug up the lemon balm, and put it into a pot this year.  I planted it directly in the herb garden over 8 years ago when I had no clue what I was doing.  I'll probably be digging it up for the next 20-some years.


And of course, my new pot could not keep all of it, so the rest went inside.  And of course, this took me "off course" with my work, and I got side tracked.  The herb garden stayed looking that way, while I went inside.


First, I filled my 9 tray dehydrator with lemon balm leaves.  It was somewhat therapeutic pulling all those leaves off. They smelled so wonderful.
    

Then, I made my first herbal syrup.  I think this was the first time, ha ha!  I used water, organic sugar and lemon balm (fresh).  I tasted it after it cooled.  It's amazing!

I actually made two batches.  One to use now, and one for the freezer.  It can be used in cakes (not that I need it), to sweeten teas, and used over fruit or biscuits.  You can find the recipe at Grit online.

I guess the Good Lord doesn't want me in the vegetable garden just yet, so I am working in my herb garden when the "Rain Gods" allow.  

Which isn't today.  

Rain arrived again late night and it appears it will continue (off and on) today.

I'll be making a gallon jug of iced tea to use that syrup in today.  Hm. Every time it rains, I keep thinking I really should clean the rest of the garage out. 


Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
Yep, I did the same thing with lemon balm and you can't get rid of it! What a great use for it though and I have lots. The only saving grace is that it is in a cemented off area where it can't go any farther! LOL! Thanks for the info...finally I'll have a bigger and better use for it.
Sam I Am, I use lemon balm in my cold and hot teas. Delicious.
Mama Pea said…
No matter what we want to (really!) do of a day, if the weather makes that impossible, there is always a long list of other things that CAN be done. You say you kinda got side-tracked, but I think you make very good use of every minute of your day!
Aw, thanks Mama Pea. You are right. There is always a long list of things to get done.
Nancy In Boise said…
I recently ripped out all of my lemon balm and tossed it into the compost. Pretty invasive stuff, but smalls great!
Little Homestead in Boise, I love the smell of it too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart