Skip to main content

Catnip Tincture ~ Insomnia

In September of 2015, I made my first catnip tincture.  I used a portion of it for making homemade bug spray, which works wonderfully by the way.

Bug Away Spray (Mountain Rose Herbs Recipe)

The other portion, was placed into a dropper bottle.  Hubby had been having trouble sleeping, and would wake up in the middle of the night.


I told him to give the tincture a "whirl" and see if would help with insomnia.  Well, I told him to open up, and dropped it in his mouth.  

He said, "hmm."

I was putting the dropper back in, and he said, "now it's your turn," and in my mouth it went before I could answer.  Oh, he's so funny.

Blech.  Ha ha!  It didn't exactly taste that great.

However, he slept like a baby.  I still woke up at 3am (and could not go back to sleep). Although the second night I slept great.   The tea we chose to drink was Holy Basil, but I do know that Valerian works well too (I'm just out of it right now).  We'll continue to use it and see if it is the cure to a good night's sleep or if it's the teas we are drinking as well.  

This particular tincture was made specifically for the bug spray.  However, if it does continue to work, I'll mix up a new tincture to include more herbs such as chamomile.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
Great info but also be sure he isn't eating within 2 hours of going to bed.
Thanks Sam I Am, he typically is not eating anything at bed time, or near bed time.
Nancy In Boise said…
I've had great luck with OTC valerian tablets, great for tight muscles too!
Thanks for that tip on the OTC tablets. Next time I'm at the health store I'll check on that. I don't like to buy things like that at the Big Box stores. I found they mostly carry vitamins/supplements that contain soy and other nasty ingredients. I could grind valerian root too, and fill empty capsules. Again, great idea. Thanks.
RB said…
Interesting! I've had insomnia since I was a child. It's awful. Since catnip is of the mint family, I wonder if it could be made into a tea which might taste a little better since you could add honey to tea.
Will be interesting to hear how this works for you and your hubby.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I thought about adding it to my hot tea, but what I read stated that taking it straight was more effective. You only take it for about 4-6 weeks then stop.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart