Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, March 1, 2013

Book Review ~ Illness Continues

First, the Folk magazine has beautiful photos in it.  It focuses on artisans, enjoyable stories, crafts, recipes and more.  I only have a few more pages to read.  It's one that you can read from beginning to end, but with less advertising than you'd find in other magazines.


Pepper in Her Pie, Book 1
Amish Pioneer Series
By Mrs. Cleon Martin 

This series is written for teens, but if you enjoy reading Pioneer stories, you'll enjoy this book.  An Amish couple with a new baby ventures from Indiana to the flat lands of Kansas.  The characters and places are fiction, but the actual events are based on true acts.  I located the series at my local library.  Your library may very well have it too. 

The title of the book refers to a lesson taught in the story.  If you enjoy the Little House series, you'll enjoy this book.  I'm waiting for the next two from our library.


Illness Update:

Two daughters now have the flu.  I've been sleeping until 10:30am to 11:15am.  Not on purpose either.  I hope Hubby is up to bringing us home more supplies.

3 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

You poor thing!
Hope you and your household get well soon.
I'll have to check into this book series. There are books similar to this at The Heritage Market(Mennonite owned bakery) I'll see if these are the same ones.
I think I told you before, I had a free subscription to this magazine 'FOLK'...I liked that it supports MADE IN THE U.S.A. and local artisans. Most of what I've read is enjoyable...but it's a bit pricey for me.

take care, stay warm--hope you get some hay soon. Pat

onesimplefarmgirl2 said...

Poor Dear
Sickness is everywhere her, so far everyone is healthy here. I keep them outside shovelling!

Countryheart in the suburbs said...

Hope the flu leaves your house soon! It sure has been an awful flu season!
I have to look into the Folk magazine. Keep hearing about it.
The book sounds like one I would love to read! I'm a pioneer book and movie junkie, lol!

Feel better soon and prayers,
Linda
Linds