Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, March 29, 2013

Red Lentil Hummus

(the photo in the magazine article makes this appear more red than mine turned out)

I found this recipe (our snack) in the December 2012 issue of Health Magazine.  However, they also have it on-line, so I don't have to type out the recipe:  Red-Lentil Hummus.


Hubby and I love hummus made from chickpeas and wanted to try this one.  I finally made it.  I could not find red lentils in our stores here, so it was another item we picked up on one of our weekend trips (it was sold bulk in a Nature store).

I am sure you can buy them on-line as well, but it sure helps when you can buy your ingredients locally.

Aside from that, this recipe is very good.  Give it a try if you like hummus, and if you want to add more lentils to your diet. 

Note: After chilling this, the color was a teensy bit more red.

My family (those that enjoy hummus) raved over this recipe.  They enjoyed it more than my regular hummus recipe that uses chickpeas.    

1 comment:

MagnoliaWhisper said...

Sounds delicious. I don't know if you have Krogers where you live. But, here the Kroger Marketplaces (very very very large Krogers), have bulk bins in the "health" food section, and always have red lentils there. Otherwise I too have to go to "health" stores, to get the red lentils. I am not sure what the deal is with ALL regular grocery stores only selling the ugly gray ones in a 1 lb bag.