Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

From the Homesteading Journal. . . (work, work, and work)


. . . Hubby and my 16 year-old worked on building the new goat stalls.  Only a few more boards to go.



. . . meet the newest member on the farm.  She's from a good bloodline of purebred lamancha dairy goats.  She is not named yet, but will be increasing our goat's milk, soap production, and homemade cheeses.  She's such a cutie.  This little gal follows my daughter everywhereI had to laugh when Sadie (black lab mix) brought her rope toy to the goat, to play with.  She was even (the dog) growling at Jesse to warn him to stay away for "her" baby goat playmate.  


. . . purchased early spring seeds (peas etc), but still need our potatoes and onions.





. . . worked on painting more of the kitchen cupboards.  With the temperature change, I hope to finish this project this month.


. . . washed up a vintage feed sack, and reused it for a curtain for one lower cupboard

. . . mixed up 5 more jars of homemade vanilla extract, and more homemade ginger ale.


The weather has quickly changed from 50 degrees and sunny, to 40-50 degrees and rainy, and now to the 30's, 100% cloud cove,r and a teensy bit of snow (or is that drizzle out there?).

Either way, I have a load of towels going on the line today.

It's a good day to get out my writing gear, and get something down on paper (or computer).  I've put it off way too long.  The kids can cook dinner tonight.  They joke why I haven't "written" my book yet, but they consistently leave me a very messy house.  Who can write with a clear mind, when the house is a chaotic mess?  I need my "office" out at the back of the property....and soon.

I may just make a big pot of hot cranberry punch to get me in the "mood."  That is, after I re-start the wood stove (hmpf - kids!), and bring in more wood.   Looks like we'll need it this week.



   

A Year of Quotes:

"In life, all good things come hard, but wisdom is the hardest to come by."
   ~ Lucille Ball  

   

7 comments:

Liz said...

Wouldn't that be funny if the dog taught the goat how to play tug of war? lol..Love the doors! Does your blog have the recipe for homade vanilla? I would like to try it. Sounds like you guys keep pretty busy around there!

Unknown said...

It's good to teach your kids to participate in the household chores now, since they'll have to do it later when they're on their own. Don't let them take you for granted ;)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Liz, I used the recipe the Michelle posted on her blog. Here is her recipe: http://michelleslittlepieceofheaven.blogspot.com/search?q=vanilla

Enjoy!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Nancy,
I told them if I found dishes anywhere on counters or sinks, I would not shop for groceries nor cook. I did not do either yesterday, and hubby brought home dinner for the two of us. A few were not happy about that! Ha ha! They do have to learn to be responsible.

Candy C. said...

What a sweet new little goatie! I love that the dog wanted to play with her! :)
Good idea using the feed sack for a cupboard curtain! We just got rid of the dishwasher (old) in favor of some more shelves and hubby thinks I need a curtain to hide the area.

Anonymous said...

Wow you've certainly been a busy little bee! New goat stalls, painting cabinets, feeding new member of your herd... and the goat cheese and goat milk soap both sound lovely. I do love goat cheese! I will be anticipating more posts on the cheese making!
It got cold here in New Hampshire too, and snowed today, boo hiss! Surely spring must be somewhere out there? I want to get my garden going...
Talk soon my new friend...
Hugs,
Beth P

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh, she's so pretty! How cute that the dog wants to play with her. My Rott does that with baby deer she sees but they go "crying" to theier Mom and I can see Nitty gets hurt feelings and comes back with her head down. Rottweilers have to put up with a lot of rejection....we make a good pair! LOL! Your doors look great...you're an expert painter. Nice goat stall too. I wish I had a work crew around here but it's just me, myself, and I! LOL! I know what you mean about being able to write when the house is chaotic....I have hard time doing anything creative if I can see a mess out of the corner of my eye. I wish I could just plop down and relax but I'm so wanting to go North so that keeps me working! Take care! Warmer temps are coming!