Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, December 14, 2012

Pasta Salad


~1 pkg. Hodgson Mill Veggie Rotini (no preservatives etc)

~Hain, Lite Safflower Mayo (no genetically modified    
  ingredients, USA made, high in vitamin E)
~Home canned sweet pickle relish
~A bit of mustard (I used French's, also USA made)

Cook noodles per package directions, drain (rinsing loses your vitamins in this).  Mix in other ingredients to your taste.  Refrigerate. Using the entire bag of noodles, we use almost 1/2 pint jar of relish in this salad.

My kids love this!  And so I do I.


Note:  I bought a few bags of the Veggie Rontini when they were on sale for less than $1.00/bag. 

Although, this does not have "local" items in it, it is being shared for the Dark Days Challenge.

Local buying this time of year, especially food, is difficult for us.  I am not close to any local cheese or bakery store.  However, I do pick up Amish made cheese and butter, when I travel south to another large city.  They use hormone free milk, etc. and are their items are made within about 3 hours from our home.

I don't have neighors to barter with either.  They are a few corn fields away, are elderly, and do not grow gardens.  The produce stands are closed for the season, so buying "local" will definitely be more of a challenge.  I'll see what I can do about that.  I joked we should make our house into a store, then rebuild a house way back behind the woods.  It's a dream.....we have to dream right?  There I go again....rambling.  Now I know where my kids get it.


Speaking of local buying, this morning I am enjoying a real cup of java.  Jumpin Java to be exact.  My 18 year-old is home from college break and brought me some delicious coffee from a coffee house near the college.  It's sooooo good.  It's been a long time since we've had "real" coffee in the house.  I am drinking the last cup as I type this.

1 comment:

Candy C. said...

That is a good Dark Days Challenge dish!
It's funny, but we really don't like the "good" coffee, too strong for us! LOL!!