Skip to main content

Pasta Salad


~1 pkg. Hodgson Mill Veggie Rotini (no preservatives etc)

~Hain, Lite Safflower Mayo (no genetically modified    
  ingredients, USA made, high in vitamin E)
~Home canned sweet pickle relish
~A bit of mustard (I used French's, also USA made)

Cook noodles per package directions, drain (rinsing loses your vitamins in this).  Mix in other ingredients to your taste.  Refrigerate. Using the entire bag of noodles, we use almost 1/2 pint jar of relish in this salad.

My kids love this!  And so I do I.


Note:  I bought a few bags of the Veggie Rontini when they were on sale for less than $1.00/bag. 

Although, this does not have "local" items in it, it is being shared for the Dark Days Challenge.

Local buying this time of year, especially food, is difficult for us.  I am not close to any local cheese or bakery store.  However, I do pick up Amish made cheese and butter, when I travel south to another large city.  They use hormone free milk, etc. and are their items are made within about 3 hours from our home.

I don't have neighors to barter with either.  They are a few corn fields away, are elderly, and do not grow gardens.  The produce stands are closed for the season, so buying "local" will definitely be more of a challenge.  I'll see what I can do about that.  I joked we should make our house into a store, then rebuild a house way back behind the woods.  It's a dream.....we have to dream right?  There I go again....rambling.  Now I know where my kids get it.


Speaking of local buying, this morning I am enjoying a real cup of java.  Jumpin Java to be exact.  My 18 year-old is home from college break and brought me some delicious coffee from a coffee house near the college.  It's sooooo good.  It's been a long time since we've had "real" coffee in the house.  I am drinking the last cup as I type this.

Comments

Candy C. said…
That is a good Dark Days Challenge dish!
It's funny, but we really don't like the "good" coffee, too strong for us! LOL!!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart