Skip to main content

Cooking with Dehydrated Garden Potatoes


I would have a photo of our finished dish, but it was devoured.  Literally.




I softened 1 1/2 canning jars of dehydrated, sliced garden potatoes, sliced some organic carrots (next year I hope to have more garden carrots in the freezer), some
fresh onion, leftover diced


ham from Christmas, organic milk, and some leftover real cheeses (about 1/4 cup is what I used).  

I layered it in a 9 x 13 dish and baked it for about 30 minutes at 350°F, but turned the heat up to 375°F when I realized it wasn't bubbling and cooking.  I do think the higher temperature was needed to cook the carrots until tender.  If these had been frozen, and thawed carrots, it would have cooked at the lower temperature.

The results were so good, I will dehydrate more potatoes until we get a root cellar built.  These did take more than an hour to soften.  I think they took about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours to hydrate before cooking. 

For a 9 x 13 pan, we used 1 1/2 canning jars of dehydrated potatoes, but could have used 2 full jars.  I am truly amazed at the flavor, despite the potatoes turning a slight brown from drying.

  

Comments

Unknown said…
That sounds like a dark days meal!
Michelle said…
I tried dehydrating potatoes,but mine turned black. Don't know what I did wrong.
Michelle,
I boiled my potatoes whole, with skins on, and when I could push a wooden skewer through, I put them in a bath of ice water. However, if they are not cooked completely through, they will turn black when dried. For shredded, I did the same, but grated them vs. sliced them. I did put them in the fridge over night before I sliced/grated and dried them, and after they were boiled and put in an ice bath. Hope this helps.
Candy C. said…
That is a good way to store extra potatoes until you get your root cellar. Your casserole sounds delicious! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart