Skip to main content

Brussel Sprouts ~ Eating Healthy ~ Pinching more Pennies


There is more to be said for organic, or chemical free, foods.  I have been reading "......" and learning even more lately.

Did you know that organic ketchup contains 3 x the lycopenes that regular store brand ketchup contains?  That's a bonus, in addition to being chemical free.  I use a lot of ketchup to make homemade sloppy joes.

Did you know that 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon contains 18 calories?  I knew it was good for you, but was not aware of the calories in it.

Well, I am really enjoying reading Chef MD's Big Book of Culinary Medicine, by John La Puma, M.D. and Rebecca Powell Marx. 

We did not grow brussel sprouts this past summer.  I think we simply over looked it.  I realized, that without growing them, I didn't serve them for meals.  This book highlights foods, and breaks down the contents of each, and the benefits of each.

I went in search for frozen, as fresh are not in season here, and found them.  I partially thawed 2 - 12 oz. bags (simply because that was the size they were packaged in), sliced them in half, and tossed them with olive oil, chopped onion, and minced garlic.  I roasted them for about 40 minutes.  


These were not only delicious, but smelled soooooo good when they were roasting.  These will be served more often now.  They are packed with goodness, and protect the body in many ways.  Even my kids ate them.

This morning we are trying Oatcakes for breakfast.  This is not only a penny pincher meal, but adds healthy grains to our diet.  I'll be back with an update.  The recipe only uses 1 Tbsp. of sugar and 1 egg. 


 

Comments

Carolyn said…
I LOVE Brussels sprouts & it's one of those vegetables (either fresh in season, or frozen) that I will spend the money on. We just had some yesterday, but now the bag is empty! Going to have to take a trip into the store I guess.
Candy C. said…
I LOVE Brussels sprouts too! I usually toss mine with a little lemon juice and Parmesan cheese after roasting, per Farmgirl Susan's recipe! :)
EMMA said…
Sounds delicious! I'm a big fan of brussels spouts. We have given up on growing them as the deer here seem to like them more than we do! unfortunately the lack of spouts just meant that they took to eating our cauliflower!
I like to finely slice mine and 'wok' cook them in a little butter with pecan nuts and cranberries.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart