Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Applesauce Banana Muffins

If you are wondering what I'm going to use my home canned applesauce for, here is one recipe I make with it.


Applesauce Banana Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour (or 1 cup whole wheat, and 1 cup white)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. organic cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
2 organic eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract (made without high fructose corn syrup)
1 cup unsweetened, organic applesauce
3/4 cup mashed banana (approx. 2 ripe bananas)
3 Tbsp. olive oil, organic

Preheat oven to 400°F.  Spray muffin pans with non-stick cooking spray, or line with muffin baking cups.

In a large bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and sugar together.  Add the eggs, vanilla and applesauce.  Beat well.  Add the bananas and oil.  Stir until moistened.

Pour batter into prepared tins.

Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on rack until served.

Yield:  14-18 muffins (depending on size of bananas used, and if not measured)  

Note:  I used parchment paper for a few muffins, when I ran out of liners.  The muffins did not stick one bit.  They do stick to the liners.  I will be cutting some liners from parchment paper for muffins like these (that tend to stick).  


I have also made a recipe from Allrecipes for a Banana Bread with applesauce.  I used one reviewers suggestion, and used less sugar, and used chocolate chips.  Yum!   


3 comments:

Candy C. said...

Good idea using the parchment paper and it makes it look like those fancy muffins from the bakery! :)
I use a lot of my applesauce for the Applesauce BBQ Sauce recipe that you shared last year.

Unknown said...

I mad esomething like that recently when I didn't have enough banana for b.bread. I just used some applesauce!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I so love muffins and these look so good!